Who doesn’t like au gratin potatoes, right? You can make this dish with milk, cream, half & half, a combination thereof, or a milk substitute. If you’re dairy free you can use a cheese substitute. For vegan or dairy-free use a cheese and milk substitute. This gluten free au gratin potatoes recipe is made without any flour at all. Enjoy!
- 12 small potatoes, (3 lbs.) peeled or not peeled, and sliced about 1/8" thick (enough to go about half way up the baking pan)
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons yellow onion, grated or minced
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (or cheese substitute*)
- Olive oil spray for layering
- 3 Tablespoons butter (or butter substitute such as Earth Balance spreads)
- 1 1/2 cups low fat milk + 1/2 cup half & half; or 2 cups whole milk; or 1 cup non-fat milk + 1 cup heavy whipping cream, or (dairy-free substitute)
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray, spritz or oil a 9x13" baking pan.
- Create alternate layers of potato slices, spritz of olive oil and onion. You can also add cheese to each layer if you wish. However, I did not. Salt and peppered every other layer.
- In a small sauce pan add butter, milk and half & half (or milk substitute). (Or microwave all together in a glass measuring cup.) Pour on top of potatoes.
- Bake for about 50 - 55 minutes or until potatoes are tender and milk is mostly absorbed.
- Top with cheddar cheese (or cheese alternative) and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
*Daiya and Follow Your Heart brand cheeses are dairy-free and have nice stretch and melt qualities. If using dairy-free cheese, add the last 10 minutes or so of baking for a nice texture.
Using a food processor to slice the potatoes is very handy, as it keeps the slices uniform resulting in even cooking. If you slice the potatoes by hand and cut them 1/4" thick add extra time for baking.