Who doesn’t like au gratin potatoes, right? You can make this dish with milk, cream, half & half, a combination thereof, or a milk substitute. If you’re dairy free you can use a cheese substitute. For vegan or dairy-free use a cheese and milk substitute. This gluten free au gratin potatoes recipe is made without any flour at all. Enjoy!
Gluten-Free Au Gratin Potatoes
- 12 small potatoes, (3 lbs.) peeled or not peeled, and sliced about 1/8" thick (enough to go about half way up the baking pan)
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons yellow onion, grated or minced
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (or cheese substitute*)
- Olive oil spray for layering
- 3 Tablespoons butter (or butter substitute such as Earth Balance spreads)
- 1 1/2 cups low fat milk + 1/2 cup half & half; or 2 cups whole milk; or 1 cup non-fat milk + 1 cup heavy whipping cream, or (dairy-free substitute)
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray, spritz or oil a 9x13" baking pan.
- Create alternate layers of potato slices, spritz of olive oil and onion. You can also add cheese to each layer if you wish. However, I did not. Salt and peppered every other layer.
- In a small sauce pan add butter, milk and half & half (or milk substitute). (Or microwave all together in a glass measuring cup.) Pour on top of potatoes.
- Bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender and milk is mostly absorbed, tossing half way through baking.
- Top with cheddar cheese (or cheese alternative) and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
*Daiya and Follow Your Heart brand cheeses are dairy-free and have nice stretch and melt qualities. If using dairy-free cheese, add the last 10 minutes or so of baking for a nice texture.
Using a food processor to slice the potatoes is very handy, as it keeps the slices uniform resulting in even cooking.
If you slice the potatoes by hand and cut them 1/4" thick add extra time for baking.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.