I adjusted my sinfully rich chocolate ice cream recipe to this much healthier version, even higher in protein, plus tons of fiber, all without the refined sugar and cow’s milk, though it does contain eggs. It is still very delicious for such a healthy ice cream recipe. You can make chocolate raw almond milk ice cream, chocolate raw pecan milk ice cream, chocolate raw hazel nut ice cream, or whichever nut you choose.
- 3/4 cup agave nectar or sugar (or 2/3 cup blue agave)
- 3 large eggs
- 7/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-1/4 cups raw Vanilla Almond Milk (or store-bought almond milk)
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (or guar gum, if corn intolerant)* (optional)
- In a food processor, add 3 large eggs, agave nectar and cocoa powder; blend thoroughly
- Bring almond milk to a boil.
- Add about 1 cup of the hot almond milk to the chocolate mixture in the food processor; blend for about 1 minute.
- Add the above mixture back to the rest of the milk mixture left in the pot.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture coats the back of spoon and you can draw a line on the spoon which remains.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool in the refrigerator until room temperature.
- Add cold mixture to ice cream machine according to directions provided by manufacturer; or freeze as is. My machine takes about 25 minutes, but I have a 2 qt. ice cream maker.
- If using machine: Freeze for a about 2 hours for firm ice cream; less for softer.
- Freeze leftovers in air tight container. Thaw out for about 15 minutes before serving or take your chances in the microwave for a few seconds at a time, testing for the desired softness.
- Top with your favorite topping.
*I've recently discovered that xanthan gum or guar gum provides a bit of chew to ice cream, much like the ice cream we purchase in stores. Start with 1/4 teaspoon and move up to a 1/2 teaspoon next time you make it if you'd like more of a chew.
If you’re looking for raw almond milk ice cream recipes that are dairy-free, casein-free, vegan and raw, see my other gluten free ice cream recipes. There is a mango ice cream recipe and the all-time favorite, Raw Almond Pistachio Ice Cream Recipe.