These little babies are not only the first chocolate gluten free rice crispy treats I’ve ever made, but the first ever Rice Kripsies® treats I’ve ever made. As a child I not only never made Rice Krispies Treats, but had never tasted one. I know! I had a mother who loved dessert, and if there was going to be dessert in the house, she was going to want some. So…we usually had more adult desserts. Though she used to make a 3-layered Jello dessert only us kids would eat.
Years ago, when our daughters were young, they made some. I still hadn’t tasted one. Therefore, this was definitely an experience for me. I figured I had some really old Kraft Puff Jet Marshmallows, and just happened to have some Erewhon’s Organic Cocoa Crispy Brown Rice cereal on hand. So, I figured why not? I dove right in. Though as you can see in the photo below, mine didn’t turn out clear. Out of 10 oz. bag of marshmallows, I had about 7 oz. left. The ratios below should have been fine, but perhaps because my marshmallows were old (sticking to the bag) it turned out thicker? I added 1/2 tablespoon more butter, but I believe I should have added more. I was trying to go by some of the recipes online, though the dipping in chocolate was my idea. Dipping the bottoms in melted Hershey bars covered my errors. I not only like Erewhon Cocoa Crispy cereal with milk, and the treats plain, but they are to die for with Hershey chocolate! I hope this idea helps someone. And all of you Rice Krispies Treat pros out there, please leave a comment below to teach us amateurs. Happy upcoming Valentine’s Day!
No Gluten Free Cocoa Krispies? Erhorwn makes a cocoa crispy brown rice cereal that is delicious, and they make great gluten free chocolate rice crispy treats!
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter (or margarine, or dairy-free buttery spread such as Earth Balance)
- 7 oz. (30) large Kraft Jet Puffed Marshmallows (or other gluten free brand)
- 4 cups Erewhon® Cocoa Crispy Brown Rice cereal
- 6 - 1.55 Hershey milk chocolate bars
- Gluten free icing, such as Wilton's icing or decorating gel (optional)
- Assorted gluten free candies (optional)
- Oil a 13 x 9 x 1-inch jelly roll pan (a casserole dish will do); set aside.
- In large pan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted, about 10 minutes; remove from heat; add cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan; using parchment paper, push the mixture into the pan.
- Oil both sides of your chosen cookie cutter; cut out shapes; re-oil cookie cutter, as needed.
- In a shallow glass bowl, melt your favorite gluten free chocolate bars in the microwave on a low temperature; dip the bottom of each cocoa crispy treat in the chocolate; set chocolate side down on parchment paper; refrigerate until firm; remove from parchment; with a pairing knife, cut off excess chocolate; decorate as desired, or leave plain.
- Do not store in the refrigerator. Best served same day. Store unused treats in a ziplock storage bag or covered left over container.