Summer time is almost here which calls for the need of multiple salad recipes. To make a successful chopped salad you want to use lots of color and make sure you use dry lettuce. You can use whatever you have on hand. I have listed some very colorful options below. I also included a very easy chipotle salad dressing (tex mex salad dressing, if you wish) to go with this chopped salad recipe, but of course you can use your favorite salad dressing. Enjoy!
- 1-2 handfuls per person handfuls of romaine lettuce
- baby carrots
- stalks celery
- enough red onion to measure about 1″ x 1″ x 2″ wedge per person
- 1/8 avocado per person
- red cabbage*
- red, green or yellow bell peppers*
- cucumber, seeded*
- tomatoes, seeded*
- artichoke hearts (not tex mex, but very good)*
- blanched cauliflower or broccoli*
- whatever else you wish to add
*not included in the photo, but an option.
Chipotle Tex Mex Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Gluten free bottled chipotle hot sauce, to taste (I use Bufalo brand.)
- Gluten free vinegar to taste (I used Heinz white vinegar)
- Stevia to taste
- In a food processor pulsate celery, carrots and red onion.
- Chop by hand lettuce, and red cabbage (if using). Ensure lettuce is dry.
- Cut into bite size pieces, avocado and/or artichoke hearts.
- Peel, seed and chop cucumbers.
- Seed and chop tomatoes.
- Toss together.
- Add Greek yogurt and mayonnaise in a small bowl; whisk together.
- Add vinegar and stevia to taste.
- Add filtered water if you wish it to be thinner.
- Whisk together.
- Because this salad is very dense you will not need to make the portion sizes very large. It is a very filling salad.
- This recipe is not sugar free, as the chipotle sauce I use contains sugar.