I’m not one big on quinoa salad, as I usually enjoy my food either cold or hot. And most of the gluten free quinoa salad recipes I’ve tried are not flavorful enough for me. I finally got this recipe right, though. The pineapple really makes this dish flavorful, so much that I didn’t even need a dressing. You can always top it with lemon, though, for even more flavor, or even your favorite salad dressing. In addition, if you replace the corn with other vegetables, you can makes this dish not only gluten free, but corn-free and grain-free. I hope you enjoy this recipe, as it brings a lot of color to the table.
A sweet and savory quinoa salad served at room temperature, with plenty of vegetables, black beans, and a bit of pineapple. Plenty of flavor. No dressing needed.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 2 cups gluten-free, low-sodium chicken (or vegetable broth or water)
- 1 cup corn, fresh (or defrosted frozen)*
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1/2 medium size red bell pepper, cubed
- 1/2 medium size yellow bell pepper, cubed
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 - 15 oz. can gluten-free organic black beans, drained and rinsed several times (La Preferida)
- 1 - 8 oz. can** sliced pineapple in 100% pineapple juice, diced
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Add the broth and quinoa to a medium size sauce pan; and bring it to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 12 - 15 minutes, or until all broth is absorbed.
- Add water to a pot; bring to a boil; add corn, peas, and zucchini to the water; and cook for about 3 minutes; drain and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the quinoa pan to a cool burner; and allow to rest for about 5 minutes. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl; fluff with a fork; and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Once all is cooled, add vegetables, black beans, red onion, bell pepper, and pineapple to the quinoa; drizzle half of the oil on top; toss gently; add remaining oil and toss again.
- Serve immediately. Add your favorite salad dressing, if desired.
* If corn-free or grain-free, replace corn with the vegetables of your choosing.
**Use additional pineapple, if desired.