Another wonderful gluten free vegan recipe from Kathy Smart, not just a plain butternut squash apple soup, but one seasoned with curry. Curry contains turmeric and cinnamon, which is very healthy for you, as help fight inflammation. This recipe is a healthy way of consuming curry, as Indian food is often loaded with butter, at least the kind that I’ve consumed and made in the past. The best part about it is that it’s allergen-free!
Kathy knows healthy food, as she is a multi-award winning nutritionist. She also knows how to create delicious recipes, as she is also a chef. Recently filmed on The Dr. Oz Show (can’t wait to see it), as well as having her own gluten-free and vegetarian TV show in Canada, Kathy is becoming more and more popular. Make sure to welcome her as the newest contributor to Gluten Free Recipe Box by leaving her a comment below, or once you’ve tried her delicious, healthy soup recipe!
A delicious, healthy butternut squash and apple soup with curry which contains turmeric which is great for fighting inflammation!
- 2 cups (500mL) onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. (30mL) coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. (15mL) ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp.(15mL) garam masala
- 2 tsp. (10mL) ground coriander
- 2 tsp. (10mL) sea salt
- 6 cups (1.5 kg) butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups (500ml) sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups (500mL) apples, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups (1.5 L) vegetable broth, low sodium *
- 1/2 cup (125mL) coconut milk*
- In a large soup pot, sauté the onions and coconut oil until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add all spices, sea salt, vegetables, apples, broth and coconut milk to the onions.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the ingredients are soft and tender.
- Puree with a blender or immersion blender. Serve soup with a swirl of coconut milk on top.
*Ensure the brands you use are gluten-free.
Serving size: 1/10 of a recipe (322 grams).
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Amount per Serving
Calories from fat 43.41
Total Fat 5.07g
Saturated Fat 3.65g
Total carbohydrates 23.55g
To find more of Kathy’s recipes visit her website at Live the Smart Way.