This gluten free, dairy free macaroni salad is also vegan. It is made with avocado, my favorite ingredient! It is easy to make and can be spiced up with a few additions. If you are an avocado lover you will love this recipe!
Makes 3-4 servings
- 2 cups Tinkyada spiral pasta
- 3 Tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 large stalk finely chopped celery
- 2 medium or 1-1/2 large avocados
- 1-1/2 tablespoons gluten free white vinegar (I use Heinz)
- 1-2 pinches of garlic powder
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- gluten free chipotle sauce or gluten free cooked chopped bacon to taste (optional)
- Boil macaroni for about 16 – 17 minutes.
- Drain and run cold water over pasta; drain; and refrigerate if not ready to use yet.
- Mash avocado; and immediately add vinegar to prevent browning.
- If you are using chipotle sauce add that in and stir.
- In a medium to large bowl add macaroni and top with avocado, celery, onion and (bacon bits, if using).
- Add a lot of sea salt and pepper; toss until macaroni is well coated.
- Top with additional chopped red onion or bacon bits.
- Chill and serve.
- If you wish to use fresh garlic just chop off ends of garlic, peel, chop and smash with and salt while chopping. This will create a nice paste. I suggest using a food processor to blend into the avocado so that the garlic is dispersed throughout the mixture.
- The photo above shows this recipe made without chipotle sauce or bacon bits, but I love it with chipotle sauce!