An easy and fast recipe for busy people are fajitas. You may serve them in a purchased gluten free corn tortillas, Rudi’s new gluten free tortillas, or a homemade gluten free tortilla or alone with other side dishes. The sauce in this recipe makes great fajitas! They were very yummy! I hope you enjoy this as much as my hubby and I did!
The best gluten free fajitas recipe using homemade gluten free tortillas, corn or store-bought.
- 1/2 pound stir fry meat already cut into strips (chicken or beef)
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 large onion
- 2 Tablespoons oil for frying (I used extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 Tablespoon gluten free white vinegar (I used Heinz) (Use apple cider or rice vinegar if corn-free.)
- 2 Tablespoons gluten free chilpotle sauce or hot sauce (I used Picante Bufalo Salsa Chilpotle* which is not sugar free.)
- 1 Tablespoon Worchestershire (I used Lea & Perrins - contains corn)
- 1 - 2 small pinches of stevia (to taste) (I like 2!)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- a few pinches of tapioca flour or corn starch for thickening the sauce (optional)
- shredded cheese (optional)
- Homemade Gluten Free Tortillas (or Rudi's brand)
- Seed and thinly slice bell peppers.
- Peel, devein and thinly slice onion.
- Preheat frying pan and cook the vegetables on medium-high heat until onion is golden brown and then lower heat to sauté vegetables until onion is translucent.
- While the vegetables are sautéing, preheat another pre-oiled frying pan.
- Brown the meat on medium high.
- Add vegetables to meat, add liquid ingredients, and stir.
- If using a thickener, remove meat and vegetables to the sides of the pan and add the flour and whisk any lumps out; or mix the flour with a bit of cold water before hand and pour in and stir. Then mix everything all together.
- Arrange on a platter with a side of warm tortillas, shredded cheese (if using), for everyone to assemble their own fajitas. (I serve this with a side salad and/or beans.)
*In a telephone conversation on 6/28/2010, per the manufacturer, Picante Bufalo Salsa Chilpotle remains gluten free.