The founder of The Pure Pantry gluten free products is the author of Fresh From Elizabeth’s Kitchen: Gluten Free and Allergy Free Recipes cookbook. Nowadays, individuals who are celiac or gluten intolerant, among others, are discovering more and more foods that they are allergic to. This is the perfect gluten free cookbook to avoid dairy, as well, as majority of the recipes dairy free. Whether you have celiac disease or not, Elizabeth’s cookbook really is a healthy choice.
How did her book come about? Well, her son had chronic ear infections, a red rash on his cheeks. Then after 8 courses of antibiotics by the time he was three, he developed asthma. He even developed epilepsy at the age of 6, experiencing grand mal seizures. Elizabeth had read a study on children developing asthma on long term antibiotic treatment (over 4 courses) prior to the epilepsy. Once the epilepsy begun, they endured multiple visits to specialists who wanted to prescribe her son potent drugs with dangerous side effects. Performing research of her own, she decided to place him on a gluten free diet. Having had him tested for food allergies, due to her own food sensitivities, she discovered he was allergic to eggs, peanuts, beans, peas, legumes, olive oil, gluten and soy. And her new journey of allergy free cooking began.
However, the story does not end here. During the time of getting her son diagnosed, she began to experience worsening of her own digestive issues, achy joints, inflammation, migranes and exhaustion. Seeing many specialists herself, she was tested thoroughly, misdiagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, and sent on her way. She finally visited a naturopathic doctor who diagnosed her with celiac disease! Now her entire family is on gluten free diet. Three of her children must be on a gluten free diet, and one, dairy free, as well. Her son has been seizure free for 5 years. She’s a happy camper, as you will be with Fresh From Elizabeth’s Kitchen!
Elizabeth has been very generous in sharing some of her recipes with us:
In Fresh From Elizabeth’s Kitchen you will find explanations of commonly used gluten free ingredients, and some specific brands listed. She has a wonderful assortment of recipes, providing families with multiple food needs a workable variety. Some soy free recipes, nut free, and more.
You’ll find an entire chapter on the most important meal of the day, breakfast – pancakes and crepes, to a veggie frittata. Then there’s unique quick bread, scones and muffins. And let’s not forget the healthy to decadent, tasty soups and salads! Some of her side dishes include quinoa, and rice and lentils. And her polenta croutons sound heavenly! The family dinner chapter includes Meat and Poultry; Fish, Rice, Pasta, and Grains; and Vegetables. She got it all covered! One of her sides had my mouth watering: Sweet Potato Gratin with Pecan-Cinnamon Topping. I loved that she provides some choices, such as coconut oil or margarine. For the last chapter of recipes she ends off with a long chapter of divine desserts! – Pies; Cupcakes and Cakes; and Other Treats. I must admit, when I saw the photo of her Banana Coconut Cream Pie, I could have eaten the page!
She ends off the book with a handful of meal suggestions for special occasions or just a winter supper. Ah, comfort food!
The photos in this cookbook of plentiful. Seldom will you find a recipe without a photo, which is not often seen in cookbooks today, as it raises the cost of manufacturing the book. The book is in hardbound form already, which is costly in itself, yet the book is so reasonably priced.
THE GLUTEN FREE GIVEAWAY
Two lucky winners will receive the following:
- 1 Hardbound Copy of Fresh From Elizabeth’s Kitchen: Gluten Free & Allergy Free Recipes
Retail Value $24.95
How to Enter and Ways of Entering Additional Times
One entry per comment.
- Comment on this post requesting to be entered in the giveaway and tell us why you wish to enter. (mandatory)
- Like “Gluten Free Carla” on Facebook Page and tell me you did so by stating so and leave your FB name in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Share this page on Facebook either by using the link above or by clicking “share” on Facebook below; and leave a separate comment below stating what you did. (1 extra entry)
- Follow me on Twitter “GFrecipebox” and leave me your Twitter name in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Tweet about this giveaway, using “@GFrecipebox“, in your tweet and leave a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Leave a comment on any other post on this site, limit two, and state what you did below, in a separate comment. Other giveaways do not count. (1 extra entry for each comment)
- Share this on any of the over 400 social net works by clicking the share button below and leave a separate comment below for each share you did. (1 extra entry for each share).
- Sign up for my newsletter at the top left of most pages, and leave a separate comment below stating you did so. If you are already a subscriber just leave a comment stating so. (1 extra entry)
- “Like” The Pure Pantry on Facebook and leave a separate comment below with your Facebook user name. (1 extra entry)
- Follow @ThePurePantry on Twitter and leave a separate comment below with your Facebook user name. (1 extra entry)
What you should know
- Giveaway ends at 11:59 pm PST on April 28, 2012.
- The winner will be announce on this page on April 29, 2012.
- The winner will have until 11:59pm PST on May 1, 2012 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply us with their U.S. shipping address and phone number. If they do not respond within that period of time, a new winner will be chosen. Therefore, use an email address you check often or check back to this site on April 29, 2012 to view the winner announcement. The winner’s shipping address, phone number and email address will be kept confidential.
- The winner is chosen at random using random.org.
- The winner will be announced at the bottom of this page.
Disclaimer: Elizabeth provided me with a free copy of her cookbook, and I was under no obligation to review it, if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a giveaway in return for the free book.
And the winner is…
Congratulations R! You have until 9:00am PST on May 2, 2012 to reply to this winner’s notification email to supply us with your U.S. shipping address and phone number. If you do not respond within that period of time, a new winner will be chosen.