Preparing for the holidays I have been on an appetizer frenzy, attempting to please various palates! I hope you like these easy gluten free appetizers. Easy, is all I can say! They can be made dairy-free, too! The filling can be changed around quite a bit with various additions and substitutions to the cream cheese…vegetables, gluten-free olives, sun-dried tomatoes, sauteed onion and peppers, etc. Just make sure all of your additions are gluten-free. Enjoy the easy gluten free appetizers!
So easy to make; so easy to eat! These gluten free appetizers are hit with everyone I've witness tasting them.
- 20 slices of gluten-free pepperoni (Hormel makes a gluten-free turkey pepperoni.*)
- 6 oz. gluten-free cream cheese, at room temperature (Philadelphia and Organic Valley are gluten-free*)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped finely
- 1/4 large yellow onion, chopped finely
- extra virgin olive oil for sauteing
- Saute onion and bell pepper in a pre-heated, pre-oiled skillet; remove from pan; set aside and allow to cool.
- Add 4 tablespoons vegetables to cream cheese; blend thoroughly.
- Add a bit of the cream cheese mixture across the middle of the slices of pepperoni; roll; add a toothpick to each one to make it easy for everyone to pick up. If you roll them thin enough, you can skip the toothpick and stuff them into a black olive. (Lindsay olives are gluten-free, but not corn-free. No mention if they are free from gluten cross-contamination. I emailed them and will leave a comment below when I hear back.) They make large and jumbo size olives which would be great for this recipe!
* These products were gluten-free at the time of this writing and were confirmed by visiting manufacturer's websites. Always check your labels or contact the manufacturer. Casein and Dairy Free Version: I recently read that you can make a mock cream cheese using a hummus recipe and adding nutritional yeast, which is a non-active yeast that is nutty and cheese-like in flavor. Red Star makes one. Hummus: Cooked, mashed chickpeas, blended with garlic, tahini (sesame paste), olive oil, lemon juice, salt.
Nutritional Values For Entire Recipe
Visit Carla’s Gluten Free Online Store. In collaboration with Massachusetts General Hospital, 50% of all proceeds are donated to their Center for Celiac Research and Treatment.