Preparing for the holidays I have been on an appetizer frenzy, attempting to please various palates! I hope you like these easy gluten free appetizers. Easy, is all I can say! They can be made dairy-free, too! The filling can be changed around quite a bit with various additions and substitutions to the cream cheese…vegetables, gluten-free olives, sun-dried tomatoes, sauteed onion and peppers, etc. Just make sure all of your additions are gluten-free. Enjoy the easy gluten free appetizers!
So easy to make; so easy to eat! These gluten free appetizers are hit with everyone I've witness tasting them.
- 20 slices of gluten-free pepperoni (Hormel makes a gluten-free turkey pepperoni.*)
- 6 oz. gluten-free cream cheese, at room temperature (Philadelphia and Organic Valley are gluten-free*)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped finely
- 1/4 large yellow onion, chopped finely
- extra virgin olive oil for sauteing
- Saute onion and bell pepper in a pre-heated, pre-oiled skillet; remove from pan; set aside and allow to cool.
- Add 4 tablespoons vegetables to cream cheese; blend thoroughly.
- Add a bit of the cream cheese mixture across the middle of the slices of pepperoni; roll; add a toothpick to each one to make it easy for everyone to pick up. If you roll them thin enough, you can skip the toothpick and stuff them into a black olive. (Lindsay olives are gluten-free, but not corn-free. No mention if they are free from gluten cross-contamination. I emailed them and will leave a comment below when I hear back.) They make large and jumbo size olives which would be great for this recipe!
* These products were gluten-free at the time of this writing and were confirmed by visiting manufacturer's websites. Always check your labels or contact the manufacturer. Casein and Dairy Free Version: I recently read that you can make a mock cream cheese using a hummus recipe and adding nutritional yeast, which is a non-active yeast that is nutty and cheese-like in flavor. Red Star makes one. Hummus: Cooked, mashed chickpeas, blended with garlic, tahini (sesame paste), olive oil, lemon juice, salt.
Nutritional Values For Entire Recipe