You’ve heard of breadsticks that you dip into pizza sauce, right? Well, picture breadsticks shaped into balls with a little, or a lot of cheese and sausage inside, and it’s yeast-free. Heaven, right? And you can make them a little more guilt-free by using turkey sausage, as I did. They were so good, I skipped the sauce entirely. However, my father and husband thought they were too dry to eat alone. Let’s face it, it’s bread. It had a nice crunch on the outside crust which I loved! I can eat these gluten free appetizers any day! Enjoy!
Gluten Free Appetizers: Sausage and Cheese Bread Balls
A cheese and sausage gluten free bread balls recipe for dipping in pizza sauce, or your favorite sauce. Makes an awesome gluten free appetizer!
- 7 Tablespoons brown and/or white rice flour (I used all brown.)
- 3 Tablespoons tapioca flour/starch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- *Scant 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (or guar gum for corn-free)
- Scant 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Scant 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 oz. (2/3 cup lightly packed) gluten free shredded cheddar cheese (or Daiya cheese for dairy-free)
- 1 3.5 oz. mild or hot gluten free Italian turkey or pork sausage (I used Saladino's brand), casing removed
- 7 Tablespoons milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients; add cheeses, sausage and milk; blend together, as you would meat loaf. With starch dusted hands, roll into 1 1/2-inch balls; place a parchment lined baking sheet; add balls to rack; and bake for 30 - 33 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with toothpicks or thread several onto skewers; and serve on a platter with your favorite sauce(s): pizza sauce, barbecue sauce, honey mustard sauce, etc.
*Scant definition: a little less than.
For a cheesier, crustier crust, roll each ball in grated Parmesan cheese.
If you use pork sausage they will most likely have more moisture due to the additional fat. If you use turkey sausage, I suggest adding additional cheese and sausage.
Allergen Warning: Allergens vary depending upon the sausage you use.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
See all Gluten Free Appetizers.