National Banana Cream Pie Day was a few days ago, and it got me thinking. Creating a gluten fee banana cream pie recipe wasn’t high on my list of to-do’s, but I became intrigued, and that was that. Before you knew it, I was surveying my Facebook friends on what types of crust they would enjoy. The 2 highest voted for were graham cracker, graham cracker coated with chocolate, and regular coated with chocolate. Since I already had all of those crust recipe here on this site, I decided to go for a shortbread crust for my own. However, I include links to all my gluten free pie crust recipes below, even the chocolate ganache coating. You may garnish the pie with whipped cream, meringue, or leave plain. Perhaps some shredded coconut would do for some. I hope you enjoy this recipe. I hadn’t had a banana cream pie in decades and being a pastry cream lover, it’s hard to believe. It was truly delicious!
Gluten Free Banana Cream Pie
A traditional textured gluten free banana cream pie with several crust choices including shortbread, regular, graham, and even a chocolate ganache coating.
- Make the pastry cream as directed in the above link. It is a bit runny, though. If you wish to have the cream set similar to pudding, combine the gelatin and hot water and set aside while you make the pastry cream. Once you remove the cream from the heat, stir in the gelatin mixture. Then cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Make your choice of pie crust; set aside to cool. If desired, once cooled, make chocolate ganache; allow to cool for about 5 minutes; pour onto the bottom of the pie crust; swirl to distribute; allow to set prior to proceeding. You may chill it in the refrigerator, if desired.
- Layer with sliced bananas.
- Pour pastry cream on top.
- Garnish with your choice of sliced bananas, whipped cream, shredded coconut and more. As an alternative, you may use the left-over egg whites from the pastry cream and make a meringue topping.
To prevent bananas from browning, you may toss them in lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon per banana. If you're allergic to citrus, try mixing 2 teaspoons cream of tartar with enough water to coat bananas.
To speed up cooling of custard, you may place it in an ice water bath.
If you desire a high whipped cream topping, make a whole whipped cream recipe instead of half. If you desire to just garnish the edges, as in the photo, make 1/4 recipe whipped cream.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.