To achieve this gluten free bean dip all you need to do is ensure that your beans and sour cream are free from gluten. La Preferida brand bean, among others, are gluten free. Light or Lite sour creams may contain gluten, therefore read labels no matter which type you use. No matter what brands you use, this bean dip is an excellent choice for low fat, low calorie, yet full flavor. Thank you, Joy Baurer, for contributing this wonderful treat. I absolutely loved the sweetness of the red bell peppers! (The photo below shows half of the recipe.)
Prep Time: 7 mins
Cook Time: 13 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
About This Recipe
Type 2 Diabetes
A flavorful, non-fat, gluten free bean dip, made with trendy, black beans. Serve with veggies for a diet delight!
- 6 scallions (green onions), chopped
- 2 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 2 cans beans, black, (15-ounce) (preferably low-sodium), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream, nonfat *
- 1 pepper, jalapeno, (seeds and ribs removed), minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Coat a medium skillet with oil spray and preheat over medium heat. Add the scallions, coriander, and cumin and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the beans and 1/3 cup water. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until all of the water evaporates, 5 to 8 minutes. Add the bean mixture to the bowl of a food processor along with the lime juice, sour cream, jalapeno, and cilantro. Purée until smooth and season with kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy with crunchy carrots, sugar snap peas, bell pepper sticks, and any other veggies for dipping.
*Note: For celiac disease, check sour cream label to ensure it’s gluten-free.
Carla's Note: Also check the canned beans for cross-contamination.