One can use this gluten free bachamel sauce (pronounced “bay shuh mel) as a base for any white cream sauce. You may add spices, or puree in roasted red peppers, and more. Often times, when using potato starch to thicken sauces it tends to thin when reheated. I used tapioca starch in my recipe. What will you use? Be creative! Make a chili bechamel and stuff some crepes with ground beef and sauteed onion and peppers.
Gluten Free Bechamel Sauce Recipe (Basic Gluten Free White Sauce)
A gluten free bechamel sauce that will turn heads when they're told it's gluten free. Perfect when using Namaste Perfect Flour Blend!
- 4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 Tablespoon tapioca, potato or corn starch (or your favorite all-purpose GF flour*)
- 1 cup milk (I used non-fat.)
- Salt or sweeten, to taste
- Melt butter in skillet on medium high. Do not allow to burn.
- Whisk in starch/flour.
- Slowly pour in milk while whisking constantly.
- Cook and continue to whisk until it thickens. If it gets too thick, add more milk; if it too watery, mix a little cold water or milk with some flour/starch and pour in, stir until thickened.
UPDATE: The photo represents the use of tapioca starch, but I've found Namaste Perfect Flour Blend to work much better, and provide a better color and texture.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
Visit Carla’s Gluten Free Online Store.