Beef stew is a family classic, but if you are gluten-free you may not know how to thicken the gravy in gluten free beef stew, like you used to do it with all-purpose flour. Take a peek at this very easy, tasty recipe that you can cook in large portions and freeze for those busy days or drop-in guests. It’s fork tender! You can use the meat for just about anything: beef stew, shredded beef tacos or enchiladas and more! One of my family’s fave! Yum!
Gluten Free Beef Stew and Brown Gravy
A flavorful beef stew and brown gravy recipe, all made gluten free!
- 5 lbs. lean beef stew meat, cut into bite size pieces (Costco sells 5+ lb. packages)
- 3 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 1 cup red wine (I use Cabernet Sauvignon.)
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons dried sweet basil
- 2 cups gluten free organic low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, for browning
- Fine sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca starch (or Namaste Perfect Flour Blend) (I now use rice flour)
- 4 Tablespoons filtered water
- Preheat a large pot with olive oil.
- Saute onion (and bell pepper, if using) on medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Add more olive oil and add beef.
- Brown and stir.
- Add basil (and wine, if using) and saute for about 10 minutes.
- Add enough chicken broth to make the amount of gravy you desire, about 2 - 2 1/2 cups.
- Stir and cover.
- Cook on medium-high for about 10-15 minutes.
- Lower heat to simmer. Cook until beef is tender, about another 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- In a small left over container with a lid, add flour and water and shake until well blended.
- Add to gravy and stir.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Do not use cornstarch if corn intolerant. Potato starch works well. Since any starch does not hold its thickening ability for long periods, you can use brown or white rice instead. Starch provides a glossy sheen to gravy and rice flour provides a milky color similar to wheat flour.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
You may also be interested in the recipe for Baked French Fries with Mozzarella Cheese and Beef Stew.