Many months ago I posted a recipe for broccoli stuffed potato with cheese sauce, but the file became corrupted and it disappeared! Someone asked me to republish it. The most important part of the recipe is the gluten free cheese sauce which you can use to make macaroni and cheese or add atop a baked potato, broccoli or cauliflower. It is also the base for cheese soup. You can add pieces of cooked broccoli to the top of a baked potato and pour on the cheese sauce. I changed the recipe a bit, as I have experimented with a few different versions now. I hope you enjoy this one! It’s a great way to get kids to eat their veggies!
A creamy, homemade, gluten free cheese sauce that no one would know is gluten free!
- 2 Tablespoons butter or buttery spread
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free all purpose flour or 1 tablespoon gluten-free starch (corn, tapioca, potato)
- 1 cup milk of your choosing, warmed (cow's or dairy-free substitute)
- 3 - 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (or Daiya vegan cheese (packed loosely)
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan.
- Remove from burner; and rapidly whisk in flour until blended.
- Return to burner and add warm milk slowly while continuously whisking whisk until sauce thickens.
- With a spoon, add cheese and stir until all is melted.
Use less milk for a thicker sauce. You can always add more milk after the cheese is in, if you desire. You may also add more milk and some veggies to make a cream soup.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.