One of Joy Bauer‘s healthy gluten free chicken recipes. Because it contains tomatoes, I am not able to provide you with a photo, at this time, as I have a tomato allergy, but it sounded so delicious and healthy, I just had to share this one with you all! I will have to make this using peppers and a sauce as a substitute for the tomatoes. Until then, I hope you find this gluten free recipe delicious and report back your findings with us all.
A delicious gluten free chicken casserole made with garbanzo beans and vegetables, and seasoned with curry, turmeric and more.
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken, breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 1" chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, Kosher
- 1 Tablespoon oil, olive
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ginger, fresh, minced
- 3 Tablespoons curry powder
- 1 head cauliflower, (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1" florets, stem discarded
- 1 can beans, garbanzo (chickpeas), (15 ounces), rinsed and drained
- 2 cans tomatoes, diced, (15 ounces), no salt added
- 1 cup yogurt, fat-free plain
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Season the chicken with salt. In a large skillet, heat the oil over med-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes, until the chicken begins to brown. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Add the onion, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, until beginning it begins to soften and become translucent. Add the garlic, turmeric, ginger, and curry powder and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes, until the mixture becomes fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower, chickpeas, and diced tomatoes (plus liquid). Lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender. Uncover and, return the chicken to the pan, and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes longer, until the chicken is cooked through but still tender and the liquid thickens.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the yogurt. Season with a pinch of kosher salt if desired and garnish with optional cilantro. Serve immediately with brown rice.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
Cholesterol: 99 mg
Sodium: 450 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 44 g
Dietary Fiber: 12 g
Protein: 52 g
Learn more about Joy Bauer and her recipes at www.joybauers.com.
Copyrighted 2011 – 2012 Joy Bauer.com. Used with permission. All rights reserved.