This delicious gluten free chicken pot pie recipe was adapted from All Recipes’ Chicken Pot Pie IX recipe, with a couple of twists of my own, creating a very flavorful sauce, with a touch of sweetness, which you may control. I’ve never enjoyed a pot pie before, even when they were made with gluten, but I went back for seconds on this gluten free pot pie! My newly developed gluten free pie crust is moist, light, and flaky, and the sauce in this recipe is so flavorful, making this is a match made in heaven! My husband had to stop eating premade pot pies years ago due to his low-sodium diet. So, he was in heaven with this version, as I was able to control the sodium content. He eats gluten, and truly enjoyed it! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie
A flavorful gluten free chicken pot pie recipe with a moist, flavorful and flaky crust, and the perfect amount of sauce. Cook chicken breasts or use a rotisserie chicken.
- 1/3 cup butter, margarine, or dairy-free spread (or 3 - 4 Tablespoons oil)
- 1 1/8 cups carrots, coarsely chopped*
- 1 1/4 cups potatoes, diced (or peas)*
- 1 cup onion
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 1/3 cups gluten free chicken broth (I used water + 1 1/3 heaping teaspoons Better Than Bouillon)
- 2/3 cup milk of your choosing (I used non-fat.)
- 1 Tablespoon gluten free Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins Original)
- 1 Tablespoon gluten free barbecue sauce (I used Homemade Tomato-Free Barbecue Sauce)
- 3 Tablespoons white or brown rice flour
- 1 Recipe Gluten Free Double Pie Crust
- Add butter to a deep skillet; melt on medium heat; add carrot; saute on low for about 10 minutes; add potatoes or peas, onion, and celery; stir; add garlic; stir; saute for 8 additional minutes.
- While vegetables are cooking, brown chicken in a separate skillet heated with oil, on medium-high heat (or use cooked chicken); set aside.
- Add chicken to vegetable mixture; stir; add flour; mix well; add chicken broth and milk, slowly; stir until thickened, about 2 minutes; add Worcestershire sauce and barbecue sauce; stir; add salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Make pie crust according to directions, using egg white to coat bottom of crust before adding filling.
- Coat top and crust edges with egg white (or egg replacer); bake for 10 minutes; baste top and edges with melted butter; every 10 minutes (3 times) baste top (not edges) with butter, with a total baking time of 40 minutes.
*Carrots, peas/potatoes may be substituted with fresh or frozen mixed vegetables.
The Worcestershire sauce and the homemade barbecue is spicy, therefore, use less for children, or use a mild barbecue sauce.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
Visit Carla’s Gluten Free Online Store.