I was planning on improving my cinnamon roll recipe today, but it dawned on me that I could make one huge cinnamon roll by making a gluten free coffee cake. Then things took off from there and I used strawberry jam instead of a brown sugar and cinnamon filling. You can use either and I have included the recipe for the cinnamon filling. This is a light, cake-like texture and weight. For a heavier gluten free coffee cake use less milk. Enjoy!
This amazing gluten free coffee cake taste like real coffee cake!
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice
- 1/4 cup butter or buttery spread, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups Carla's Cake Flour Blend (click link for recipe)
- 1/3 cup sugar (or evaporated cane juice which is less refined than regular sugar)
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam (I used fruit sweetened only) or flavor of you choice; or
- Comstock (it's gluten-free) Pie Filling (flavor of choice) I can't wait to try apple or cherry!
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon unsalted butter or buttery spread, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 Tablespoons warm milk of your choice
- Heat oven to 375°F. Oil a a 7, 8 or 9-inch round cake or pie pan.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar on medium low or by hand.
- Add butter in a little bit at a time, as to not cook eggs; add vanilla and milk; mix again on medium-low.
- Add flour blend and beat until smooth.
- Reserve about 2/3 cup of batter. Spread rest of batter in the prepared pan.
- Drop 1/2 tablespoons of jam over batter and spread as much as possible. If using cinnamon filling, mix ingredients together well until crumbly and substitute for jam.
- Drop the remaining batter by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the top of the filling.
- Bake 25 minutes or until very golden brown. The areas where you have jam may appear to be uncooked, but is not.
- While the cake is baking, add powdered sugar to a cup; add melted butter and stir until sugar is melted and well mixed. Add milk and vanilla and stir well. Baste over warm coffee cake.
- Serve warm. Store leftovers covered. Refrigerate if not using right away within a couple of days.
You may also be interested in my Gluten Free Apple Coffee Cake, or whichever pie filling you desire to use.