This gluten free cream of chicken soup recipe is made with fresh ingredients. Add to other soups for an easily digestible protein. Using chicken breasts is not recommended, as it is too dry and creates a gritty texture. Brown chicken parts add more flavor. Ensure that the chicken broth you use is gluten free, or use the broth/water used to boil the chicken, though it will not have as much flavor as pre-made chicken broth. Enjoy this gluten free cream of chicken soup recipe. My father most certainly did!
A homemade gluten free cream of chicken soup recipe, best used in dishes calling for canned version. You can have those creamy casseroles again!
- 1/4 cup oil (I used extra virgin olive oil.)
- 2 Tablespoons butter (I used unsalted,)
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 1/2 cups chicken, deboned, boiled and minced
- 2 cups milk or dairy-free substitute
- 2 cups low-sodium, gluten-free chicken broth, or homemade
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch or potato starch
- Fine sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter with oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- Saute onion celery until onion is translucent, and celery is very soft, about 10 minutes or more.
- Add garlic and thyme; saute for about a minute a minute or until thyme is fragrant.
- Add chicken broth and milk; simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add soup to a blender and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- In a small container mix starch with equal or greater amounts of water; set aside.
- Puree soup until all is creamy.
- Return soup to sauce pan; Add starch/water mixture and bring to a boil; stir until thick.
- Garnish with fresh minced basil, flat leaf parsley, nutmeg or gluten free sour cream.
Like this gluten free cream of chicken soup recipe? See all cream soup recipes under the gluten free soup category at http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/category/recipes/gluten-free-soup-recipes