This gluten-free dairy-free coconut tarts recipe was contributed by the wonderful Carol Kicinski! Coconut is healthy and yummy! Nutrition content will depend upon which gluten-free graham crackers you use. A couple of brands are The Grainless Baker and Kinnikinnick. Please read labels and enjoy!
These tarts are simple enough for everyday and elegant enough for entertaining.
So creamy, so healthy...with a wonderful, unique, healthy, crust!
- 1¾ cups sweetened coconut flakes – use divided
- 1 cup gluten free graham style crumbs
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (or non-dairy butter substitute such as Earth Balance)
- 1 – 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup tapioca starch or corn starch
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place 1¼ cups of the coconut on a sheet pan and spread into an even layer. Toast the coconut in the oven until it is fragrant and lightly browned, 8 – 10 minutes, stirring once or twice during cooking for even browning. Reserve ¼ cup of the toasted coconut for garnish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup of the toasted coconut with the graham style crumbs and the coconut oil. Press into four 4 inch tart pans with removable bottoms, an 8 inch tart pan or even a 9 inch pie plate, making sure to get the mixture up the sides as well as on the bottom. Place in the freezer to cool and harden – about 15 minutes. While the crust hardens, make the filling.
- In a medium saucepan whisk together the coconut milk, brown sugar, tapioca starch and salt. Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens, just about 3 minutes. Stir in the vanilla. You can press the mixture through a sieve if you like to make sure there are no lumps. Stir in the ½ cup of coconut flakes you did not toast. Pour the mixture into the prepared tart pan(s) or pie plate. Let the tart cool in the fridge until ready to serve. Garnish with reserved toasted coconut flakes.
Copyrighted 2011 Carol Kicinski, author of Simply…Gluten-Free Desserts
Learn more about Carol and her recipes on her Simply…gluten-free blog.
See Carol’s other recipes:
(Flourless) Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies