Making gluten-free sandwich bread is an art, and Carol Fenster has perfected that art! As one of the few gluten-free experts in the world, Carol Fenster, creator of Bob Red Mill’s wonderful mixes and recipes, has graciously shared her recipe with us for gluten-free sandwich bread made with yeast. It is a gluten free white bread recipe, but is healthier because it contains sorghum flour. This is a treasure of a recipe, as you have the choice of adding butter, buttery spread or oil. So many of those with celiac disease along with other gluten-free dieters are also dairy-free. That is right, a gluten free dairy free sandwich bread recipe! Enjoy! We definitely did!
This recipe is so forgiving! Someone wasn’t wearing their glasses and added double the amount of butter so we skipped the spray on the top, fearing it would brown enough on its own with the added butter. All these mistakes and it still came out delicious! In addition, as you can see in the photo above, we did not have any sesame seeds to add to the top, as Carol suggested, but added poppy seeds instead.
Carol Fenster's gluten free white yeast bread recipe made with sorghum flour. Perfect for sandwiches - great texture!
- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup warm water (about 110°F)
- White rice flour, for dusting
- 1/2 cup egg whites (about 3 large egg whites, at room temperature)
- 2 cups potato starch
- 1 cup Carol's Sorghum Flour Blend
- 2 teaspoons xanthum gum
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, or buttery spread, at room temperature, or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 teaspoon of the sugar in the water. Set aside to foam, about 5 minutes.
- Generously grease a 9x5-inch non-stick (gray, not black) loaf pan. Dust the bottom and sides of the pan lightly with rice flour.
- In the large bowl of a heavy duty mixer; beat the egg whites on medium speed until thick and foamy, about 30 seconds. Add the potato starch, sorghum blend, xanthan gum, guar gum, salt, butter, vinegar, remaining sugar; and yeast mixture. Beat on low speed to gently blend the ingredients, then increase the speed to medium and beat 30 seconds more or until the mixture is thoroughly combined and slightly thickened.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pan and smooth the top with a wet rubber spatula. Coat the top with cooking spray and sprinkle with sesame seeds, pressing them gently into the dough with your fingers. Cover lightly with aluminum foil, and let rise in a warm place (75°F to 80°F) until the dough is level with the top of the pan.
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375°F. With a sharp knife, make three diagonal slashes (1/8 inch deep) in the top of the loaf so steam can escape during baking. Bake 1 hour, or until the temperature reaches 205°F on an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf. Remove the bread from the oven and cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan and cool completely on the wire rack. Slice with an electric knife or serrated knife.
See more Gluten Free Bread Recipes. Most are dairy-free.