Carol Fenster, author and gluten-free expert, created this wonderful gluten free clafouti! She explains what clafouti is below. I cannot wait to try this! It looks so elegant. I can picture serving this at my next dinner party. Enjoy! And thank you so much, Carol, for sharing this with us all!
A Clafouti is a not-too-sweet dessert consisting of a light batter of milk, eggs, flour, and sugar poured over fruit—- in this case, dark sweet (Bing) cherries. Millet, the flour used here, is a nutritious gluten-free grain and is soft enough to grind the whole grains with your little coffee or spice grinder.
For entertaining, I bake the Clafouti in individual 4-ounce ramekins for quick baking and easy serving. I make the batter the day before and refrigerate it. Just before the main course, I pour the batter into the fruit, which was already nestled in the ramekins, and bake it while we eat so it still warm when served. Dusted with powdered sugar, and a dollop of whipped cream and a sprig of mint… this little dessert is enchanting.
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup milk on nondairy beverage
- 2 Tablespoon butter or buttery spread, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup millet flour (or grind 1/4 cup whole millet into flour with spice grinder)
- 1/3 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon for sprinkling
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups dark sweet (pitted) cherries, drained thoroughly
- 1 Tablespoon sliced almonds
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar, for garnish
- Whipped cream or topping, for garnish
- Combine eggs, milk, butter, vanilla, and almond extract in a blender until smooth. Gradually add millet flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and salt and whirl for 1 full minute on high speed or until very smooth.
- Grease 8 or 9-inch, oven-proof ceramic dish with 2-inch sides or 6 small ramekins. Spread cherries in the bottom and pour batter on top. Sprinkle with almonds and remaining sugar.
- Bake until the top is puffy and golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven, dust with powdered sugar, top with a dollop of whipped cream, and serve immediately.
You may visit Carol Fenster’s website for more delicious recipes at www.CarolFensterCooks.com