I recently had a recipe request from a Facebook friend for gluten free date squares, and I was pleasantly surprised when I was sent this recipe from my newest monthly contributor, Kathy Smart. Check out Kathy’s easy gluten-free, vegetarian cookies recipe below, and be sure to welcome her aboard by commenting below. This recipe can either be made dairy-free or not. Thank you, and welcome, Kathy!
Dates have a natural sweetness that tastes like maple syrup or brown sugar! Dates are rich in minerals like calcium, potassium, manganese, copper and high in B vitamins and vitamin K.
Simple and Quick
Dairy Free (if using coconut oil)
Gluten and Wheat Free
High in Fiber
No Added Refined Sugars
Vegetarian/ Vegan (if using coconut oil)
A grain-free, gluten free date squares recipe turned into a cookie! Make it vegetarian by using coconut oil, or with butter; your choice.
- 1/2 cup of softened butter or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup of sucanat*
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of ground almonds
- 1/3 cup of ground flaxseeds
- 1 ½ cups of gluten free oats
- 2 cups of pitted and chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together butter/coconut oil, sucanat and egg. Add ground almonds, flaxseeds, oats and dates and form into small balls.
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheets and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
*Carla's Note: Sucanat™ is a minimally refined form of cane sugar.
Amount Per Serving: 1 cookie
Total Fat 5.44g
Saturated Fat 2.63g
Total Carbohydrates 17.94g