I recently had a recipe request from a Facebook friend for gluten free date squares, and I was pleasantly surprised when I was sent this recipe from my newest monthly contributor, Kathy Smart. Check out Kathy’s easy gluten-free, vegetarian cookies recipe below, and be sure to welcome her aboard by commenting below. This recipe can either be made dairy-free or not. Thank you, and welcome, Kathy!
Dates have a natural sweetness that tastes like maple syrup or brown sugar! Dates are rich in minerals like calcium, potassium, manganese, copper and high in B vitamins and vitamin K.
Simple and Quick
Dairy Free (if using coconut oil)
Gluten and Wheat Free
High in Fiber
No Added Refined Sugars
Vegetarian/ Vegan (if using coconut oil)
Gluten Free Date Square Cookies
A grain-free, gluten free date squares recipe turned into a cookie! Make it vegetarian by using coconut oil, or with butter; your choice.
- 1/2 cup of softened butter or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup of sucanat*
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of ground almonds
- 1/3 cup of ground flaxseeds
- 1 ½ cups of gluten free oats
- 2 cups of pitted and chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together butter/coconut oil, sucanat and egg. Add ground almonds, flaxseeds, oats and dates and form into small balls.
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheets and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
*Carla's Note: Sucanat™ is a minimally refined form of cane sugar.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
Amount Per Serving: 1 cookie
Total Fat 5.44g
Saturated Fat 2.63g
Total Carbohydrates 17.94g