The word “comprehensive” is the perfect word to describe the Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide. It is the most thorough book I have reviewed on the subject of the gluten-free diet thus far! Shelley Case, BSc RD, the author, publisher, and an international leading expert on the gluten-free diet and celiac disease, not only provides us all with incredible information on the gluten-free diet, but lists most of the gluten-free food manufacturers, who are “safe” manufacturers. I cannot possibly thoroughly cover this book in a short review, with its 368 pages of vital information, and even a few delicious gluten-free recipes by contributed by various sources, but I’ll give it a try.
Your best bet is to go to Amazon and Take a Look Inside the “Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide. This will give you a chance to review the table of contents, preface, introduction, etc. There you will be able to see how extensive this book really is.
A matter of fact, many doctors and experts in the gluten-free field endorse her book:
- Dr. Alessio Fasano, MD, Director of the Maryland Center for Celiac Research, Baltimore, Maryland (a highly valued opinion leader in the gluten-free/celiac community)
- Dr. Cynthia Rubert, MD. F.A.C.P., Gastroenterologist, Atlanta, Georgia
- Dr. Michelle Pietzak, MD, Pediatric Gastroenterologist and Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California
- Andrea S. Levario, JD, Executive Director, American Celiac Disease Alliance, Alexandria, Virginia
The above endorsers are quoted as rating the book “more than 5 stars”, “wealth of information”, exceeds expectations”, “new edition is timely” and “This is the book I’ve been waiting for”. My thoughts were, “Why didn’t I have this book when I first started my gluten-free diet!” It is now the book I will endorse on the subject of the gluten-free diet.
Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide covers all of the FAQs about the gluten-free diet and the ingredients and products we use, such as “Are spices gluten-free?”, “Are flavorings gluten-free?” and “What are the hidden sources of gluten?” She covers it all, including the health aspect of eating gluten-free. Let’s face it, if you are eating processed, store bought food, you’re not getting enough fiber.
Note: I will be publishing a piece from this book on how to increase your fiber while on the gluten-free diet within the coming days. So stay tuned in. Meanwhile, meet the author, Shelley Case.
About Shelley Case
- registered dietitian;
- internationally renowned gluten-free diet and celiac expert;
- member of Medical Advisory Board for Celiac Disease Foundation and Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) in the U.S.;
- member of the Professional Advisory Board of the Canadian Celiac Association;
- popular speaker and educator;
- frequent guest on radio and TV, including NBC’s The Today Show;
- many articles published in the Gastroenterology, Pediatrics, Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics and Today’s Dietitian; and
- awarded the Queen Elizabeth Golden Jubilee Medal for her value in educating both individuals and health professionals in North America.
Whew! Definitely a list deserving of recognition!
Shelley has so generously offered to sponsor a gluten-free giveaway!
THE GLUTEN-FREE GIVEAWAY
Three (3) lucky winners will each receive the following:
- .One copy of Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide - Revised Edition valued at $26.95
***This giveaway is open to U.S. and Canadian residence.***
How to Enter and Ways of Entering Additional Times
- Comment on this post requesting to be entered in the giveaway and tell us why you wish to enter. (mandatory)
- Like “Gluten Free Carla” on Facebook Page and tell me you did so by stating so in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Share this page on Facebook either by using the link above or by clicking “share” on Facebook below; and leave a separate comment below stating what you did. (1 extra entry)
- Follow me on Twitter “GFrecipebox” and leave me the link to your tweet in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry) (To find the link, just click on “1 hour ago”, etc.)
- Retweet this post dated August 6, 2011 from “GFrecipebox“, by using “RT @GFrecipebox” in your tweet and leave me a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Leave a comment on any other post (recipe or article) on this site, today, limit two, and state what you did below, in a separate comment. Other giveaways do not count. (1 extra entry for each comment)
- Share this on any of the 328 social net works by clicking the share button below and leave a separate comment below for each share you did. (1 extra entry for each share).
- Like Shelley Case on Facebook and leave a separate comment below with your Facebook user name.
- Like Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide on Facebook.
- Follow Shelley Case on Twitter (@shelleycase) and leave a separate comment below with your Twitter user name. (1 extra entry)
- “Like” Shelly’s newly added fan page on Facebook.
What you should know
- Giveaway ends at 11:59 pm PST on September 6, 2011.
- The winner will have until 11:59pm PST on September 9, 2011 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply us with their U.S. or Canadian shipping address and phone number. If they do not respond within that time period, a new winner will be chosen. Therefore, use an email address you check often or check back to this site on September 7, 2011 to view the winner announcement. The winner’s shipping address, phone number and email address will be kept confidential between us and Tropical Traditions.
- The name of the winner will be announced on this page, right below this line, on September 7, 2011.
Disclaimer: Shelley Case provided me with a free copy of her book to review, and I was under no obligation to review it, if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a giveaway in return for the free book.
And the winners are…
Angela, Michelle, and Paulissa!
Congratulations to all!
You each have until 11:59pm PST on September 9, 2011 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply us with your U.S. or Canadian shipping address and phone number. If you do not respond within that time period, a new winner will be chosen.
Winners were chosen at random using random.org: