Have you ever had gluten free fried ice cream, or any fried ice cream before? If not, you’re in for a fun and delicious treat. I love making this for guests. It is a real conversation maker. Traditionally, they are made with ground corn flakes, but if you cannot find any such as Glutino Corn Rice Flakes, you can use your favorite cereal such as Gluten Free Rice Krispies and others. Even ground gluten free graham crackers will work. You have a choice of either grinding the cereal finely or crushing them so they are left in little pieces. For a thicker batter, I have provided a link to my Gluten Free Churros batter, if you’re up for experimenting. Meanwhile, enjoy this delicious Mexican treat.
Gluten Free Deep Fried Ice Cream
An easy and delicious gluten free fried ice cream recipe, a Mexican favorite. Impress your guests or family with very little effort.
- 6 rounded scoops of gluten free vanilla ice cream (or French vanilla or other flavor) (dairy-free, if needed)
- 1 cup ground (or crushed) Glutino Corn Rice Flakes* (or sub crumbs, sugar, and eggs for Gluten Free Churro batter
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 cup corn flour (not cornstarch) (or rice flour or all-purpose gluten-free flour)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Cooking oil, for frying
- Place a baking sheet in your freezer for about 1 hour to chill.
- Using a spring action ice cream scooper, scoop single scoops of ice cream scoops onto the chilled baking sheet and freeze them until they are super hard, about 2 - 3 hours.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the corn rice crumbs, sugar, and if using, cinnamon, together, and set it aside. Add the flour to a separate bowl and set it aside. Beat the eggs in another bowl and set it aside.
- Once the ice cream is frozen, roll the ice cream scoops in your flour of choice, roll them in the beaten egg, and then in the crumbs. (Keep the ice cream in the freezer and work with one at a time, placing them back in the freezer until needed.)
- Preheat enough oil to cover the scoops of ice cream in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan to 375°F. If you do not have enough oil to cover the scoops completely, you can just roll them around.
- Fry them for only a few seconds and serve immediately in glass ice cream dishes. Then top them with your favorite sauces or eat plain.
- Chocolate Gluten Free Caramel Sauce
- Gluten Free Dulce de Leche
- Dairy-Free Corn- Free Gluten-Free Caramel Sauce
- Gluten Free Chocolate Ganache
- Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Raw Ganache
- Strawberry Sauce
*For those allergic to soy, tree nuts or sesame, use a substitute for the Glutino Corn Rice Flakes.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.