This wonderful gluten free gingerbread cake recipe is from Everyday Gluten Free, a self-published gluten free cookbook by Kim Wilson. This cake is moist, dairy-free, sugar-free, egg-free, nut-free, soy-free, (and corn-free, if you use a corn-free baking powder such as Hain’s Featherweight). The only sweeteners it calls for are natural. What more could anyone ask for? Stay tuned in for more of Kim’s recipes, book reviews, and giveaways, now through Saturday.
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cake
- 1 cup teff flour or sorghum flour
- 1/3 cup light buckwheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1/3 cup oil/butter
- ½ cup molasses*
- ¼ cup honey (or agave or maple syrup)
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup ground flax
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- Combine all the ingredients above the line [in Step 1], allowing the mixture to set for several minutes for the brown rice flour to hydrate. Combine the ingredients below the line [in Step 2] in a separate mixing bowl. Combine wet and dry mixtures and then pour into an oiled 8 ½ x 11 rectangular baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
* increase/decrease amount depending upon intensity of molasses
Make this an “Upside Down Cake” by layering the bottom of the cake pan with thinly sliced pears or apples before pouring in the cake batter. It’s really special when baked in a cast-iron skillet. Scrumptious, and a beautiful autumn presentation!
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
Visit Kim’s website at Simply Natural Health.
Excerpted from Everyday Wholesome Soup by Kim Wilson © 2010 Kim Wilson. Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.