Dr. Vikki Petersen, co-author of “The Gluten Effect” was on my online radio show, “Carla’s Cooking,” this evening. She has this wonderful gluten free granola recipe to share with you. It may be used in several ways: as a breakfast cereal, in protein bars, in parfaits, to top ice cream, and many more. There is nothing like warm granola straight from the oven! Enjoy.
A homemade gluten free granola recipe. Eat it warm straight from the oven or use in desserts, as a breakfast cereal and more!
- 2 cups certified gluten-free oats
- 1 cup organic almonds, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup sesame seeds or pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened organic coconut flakes
- ¼ cup golden flax seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon [pure] vanilla
- ¼ cup oil (I use coconut but canola would be fine)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- 1 cup of raisins (you could also use dried cranberries, organic dried apricots or any dried fruit of your choosing.)
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Put all ingredients except the raisins in a large bowl and mix together.
- Place the ingredients in a shallow baking pan and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Halfway through the cooking process stir the granola to ensure that it gets golden brown evenly. When stirring, bring the granola on the edge of the pan into the center and vice versa as it tends to cook more quickly on the edges.
- When golden throughout remove from the oven and let cool a few moments. Add the raisins and mix.
Carla's Notes: I usually make this recipe with half chopped walnuts and half almonds, omit the coconut and sunflower seeds when I don't have them on hand as seen above in the photo.
From the gluten-free kitchen of Dr. Vikki Petersen