This gluten free lemon pie is a bit different than lemon meringue pie, as it is a bit creamy – not much, just a tad. In addition, it still maintains a bright yellow color. You can use Greek yogurt, as I list below, or sour cream. Just make sure whichever you use is gluten free. Make additional filling if you are not going to top it with whipped cream or Cool Whip. You have your four choices of gluten free pie crust recipes, very flaky, or two more traditional crusts. Hopefully you find one that calls for ingredient you already have in your pantry. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Lemon Cream Pie (Plain or with Whipped Cream)
A creamy gluten free lemon pie with lots of color and plenty of possibilities. Any way you make it, it's delicious!
Allergens: will vary depending upon which pie crust recipe you use.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line the unbaked crust with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and be sure to cover the edges. Fill the crust with uncooked rice, dried beans, or pie weights. Place the pie crust on a baking sheet; and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove the weights and foil/paper, poke holes in the bottom of the crust with a fork, and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer the pie pan to a metal rack to cool completely.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, Greek yogurt, and salt. Pour the lemon juice in about 1/4 cup at a time, whisking well before the next addition.
- Pour the lemon mixture into the crust. Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake just until the mixture sets, 25 to 35 minutes. The middle will still giggle, and firm upon cooling.
- Transfer the pie to metal rack to cool completely.
- Serve plain or top whipped cream, Cool Whip topping, or decorate with white icing. Refrigerate the pie until you are ready to serve.
If serving this pie without a topping multiple the amounts by 1.5. This will make a fuller filling.
If making several hours or a day in advance, top with whipped cream or icing the day you serve it.
If you desire to add the whipped cream prior to serving, dissolve 2 Tablespoons of clear gelatin with water, allow it to cool, and add it to the whipped cream. It holds up much better this way.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
Find more Gluten Free Pie Recipes.