I love baking with millet. It’s on the light side, much like sorghum flour. And this recipe makes for a wonderful sandwich bread, as it is soft. You can make this recipe with or without an egg yolk, but you’ll need at least 4 egg whites. The egg yolk provides a little extra moisture and lends a light yellow color to the bread. Egg yolk also aids in browning, thus the reason for tenting the bread with foil during baking. I hope you enjoy my gluten free millet bread recipe.
- Cooking oil or gluten free spray oil, for pan
- 1 1/2 cups milk or high protein substitute, heated to 110°F
- 2 Tablespoons evaporated cane juice (or sugar)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups millet flour
- 1 cup potato starch
- 3/4 cup corn starch (Bob's Red Mill brand is non-GMO.) (or tapioca starch)
- 1/4 cup fava bean flour
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 3/4 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or your favorite cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Grease or spray oil a 9×5" loaf pan (I used ceramic).
- Whisk together the dry ingredients; set aside.
- Preheat your oven to the lowest temperature possible. My oven's lowest is 170°F.
- Add sugar to the warmed milk; stir to dissolve; add yeast; stir and set aside. If your yeast is good, it will foam at the top a 3-4 minutes.
- Add egg and egg whites to the large bowl of your mixer and beat on high speed for 1 minute. It should turn out foamy, but not quite soft peaks.
- Add the oil, vinegar and yeast mixture, in that order, to the egg mixture and blend on low, just until mixed, about 10 seconds.
- Add dry ingredients all at once to mixing bowl and blend for on medium speed (KitchenAid mixer No. 5) for 4 minutes.
- Add the dough batter to the prepared pan. Using a rubber spatula distribute dough evenly. Drop about 10-12 drops of cold water over the top of the dough. Add additional drops of water, if needed. Using a clean rubber spatula even out the top.
- Turn oven off. Place the bread pan in the oven. Close the oven door and allow the dough to rise until it is about 1/2" over the top of the pan, about 20-24 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the pan in the center of the oven and bake for about 1 hour. Tent the top with aluminum foil or Martha Wrap. The crust should be hard when done.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and immediately remove it from the pan and immediately transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Slice with a serrated knife, electric knife or electric slicer.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.