Whether serving a crowd or just a few people, nachos are always a big hit. With this gluten free nachos recipe you can add your favorite toppings, from olives to jalapeno peppers, from sour cream to guacamole. Of course, a good cheese sauce is a must. You can either add cheese and melt in the oven or microwave, or make a homemade cheese sauce. If you wish to kick it up a notch, add chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder. Yummy deliciousness! – even when made dairy-free. Enjoy!
A gluten free nachos recipe with a variety of choices for toppings. Delicious no matter what you use. Use your favorites!
- Gluten free tortilla chips (I use Padrino's No Salt)
- 1/2 cup gluten free refried beans (La Preferida brand) (optional)
- 3/4 to 1 cup ground beef
- 1/8 yellow onion, chopped (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons filtered water
- Dash of cumin
- Dash of chili powder
- Dash of fine sea salt
- Dash of oregano
- Dash of paprika
- Dash of garlic powder
- 1/8 cup canned gluten free diced green chiles (optional)
- Onion, tomatoes and/or red bell peppers, diced or sliced (optional)
- Gluten free olives, sliced (Lindsay brand) (optional)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup cheddar cheese or your favorite cheese, shredded (Daiya brand* is dairy-free/vegan.) (or Gluten Free Cheese Sauce with optional chili, onion, and garlic powder, to taste
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup FAGE Greek Yogurt (or dairy-free alternative)
- Gluten free chipotle sauce (I use Bufalo brand.)
- Splash of white vinegar (I use Heinz.)
- Dash of garlic powder
- Scramble up the ground beef in a skillet until thoroughly cooked; or add leftover ground beef to skillet.
- If using onion, saute until translucent.
- Add water and seasonings; and stir.
- Saute for about 5 minutes.
- On a plate, add several tortilla chips; don't worry about arranging the outside ones, just yet.
- If using, warm bean; and add to chips in a circle, allowing room for beef in the middle.
- Add beef to the middle. (Or mix the beans and beef together.)
- Top with chiles, onion, peppers, tomatoes and/or olives, if using.
- Arrange larger tortilla chips to the outside edges. (Or you can top with cheese then vegetables.)
- Top with cheese.
- Microwave on a low to medium setting until cheese is melted. (Or make it in a oven proof dish and place under broiler for a few seconds/minutes.)
- Mash 1/2 an avocado.
- Mix in about 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, 10 drops of chipotle sauce, sprinkle of garlic powder and splash of vinegar.
- Scoop onto top of nachos.
- Lower in calorie and fat than traditional guacamole!
I read that Rosarita refried beans contains distilled vinegar which may be derived from wheat or corn, but that the distilling process removes any gluten. Because of that reason they can not be labeled gluten free.
If you use Daiya brand cheese this recipe is no longer soy-free, but is dairy free.