Looking for a gluten free onion soup mix recipe? To my surprise all our gluten eating guests loved it! Several guests asked me what ingredients were in it. Since we are not big on sodium, I left out about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of the mix, though you may wish to use the entire recipe. Enjoy this gluten free onion soup mix recipe for dips or soup. We sure did!
In 2011, when I first created this recipe, the ingredients that I found online for Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix were: onions (deyhydrated), salt, cornstarch, onion powder, sugar, corn syrup, hydrolyzed soy protein, caramel color, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, monosodium glutamate [MSG], yeast extract, natural flavors, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate. However, most recipes online call for beef bouillon cubes, so I took a stab at it.
UPDATE see my notes in [ ]: n 2015, their recipe changed. The ingredients I recently found on Walmart’s website are: Dehydrated Onions, Salt, Corn Flour, Hydrolyzed Soy And Wheat Protein, Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Caramel Color, Maltodextrin [may contain gluten depending upon the source], Natural And Artificial Flavors, Monosodium Glutamate [MSG], Disodium Phosphate, Arabic Gum, Disodium Inosinate And Disodium Guanylate.
If using this gluten free instant onion soup mix for soup, you may wish to add additional potato starch mixed with water, adding a bit at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
Gluten Free Onion Soup Mix Recipe
A homemade gluten free dry onion soup mix used for onion dip or instant onion soup.
- 8 teaspoons (or 2 Tablespoons + 2 tsp.) dehydrated onions
- 4 Herb-Ox Beef Bouillon Cubes, crushed or ground (I grind mine in a coffee grinder.) (contains soy, yeast and dairy, but no MSG) (see tip below)
- 1 teaspoon potato starch (or cornstarch)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground celery seed (I grind the seeds in my coffee grinder.)
- Mix all dry ingredients together, breaking down any lumps of starch or bouillon.
- If using for dip, mix with 16 ounces of sour cream, as you would with a package of regular instant onion soup mix. Then refrigerate for several hours allowing the mixture to soften; and stir before serving. If using for soup, add boiling water and steep until tender.
If you prefer a lower-sodium dip or soup, use a little less mix in the dip.
Currently, when I make onion dip, I add all of the ingredients to the sour cream, but use Better Than Bullion to taste.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
You may also be interested in Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Soy-Free Sour Cream Recipe.