This gluten free pizza rolls recipe is handy for any party, or just for a snack. The dough is much like pie crust, and can be filled with any filling you desire. I used a mixture of homemade gluten free pizza sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. With what will you fill your gluten free pizza rolls? I think I will make mine larger next time so that I can add more filling. Yum! Enjoy!
Gluten free pizza rolls filled with pepperoni or your choice of filling. Great for movie night, as appetizers, or a snack.
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (Bob's Red Mill's is GMO-free)
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 3/4 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder (I use Rumford's.)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or salt
- 1 Tablespoons xanthan gum +1 tsp. guar gum (or all of one or the other)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cold, cut into pieces (or dairy-free margarine)
- 1/3 cup shortening, refrigerated or frozen
- 1 1/4 cups milk (of your choice-I used cow's milk - 2%.)
- tapioca flour for dusting
- 1 Tablespoons + 3/4 teaspoon white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg white for brushing (water works for non-dairy)
- Gluten Free Pizza Sauce
- shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Gluten free pepperoni, minced (optional)
- In a bowl, add all dry ingredients together and whisk thoroughly.
- Mix milk and vinegar together in a cup; set aside.
- Add butter and shortening. With a pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut the butter and shortening until it the fat is distributed well throughout the flour.
- Add milk and vinegar mixture; cut it in until you can mold the dough like clay with your hands.
- With your hands form it into a ball.
- Separate the dough into 4 separate sections. Keep the unused ones in a ziplock bag until ready to use. Roll dough to about 1/8" thick with dusted hands and dusted rolling pin, and a heavily dusted flat rolling surface, preferably a rolling mat. Trim off uneven ends.
- With a long knife, cut a several squares, about 1 1/2" wide, by cutting length wise and width wise. Brush all ends of the squares with egg white.
- In a small bowl, add cheese, meat (if using) and enough pizza sauce to wet the mixture.
- Using a wide knife or a pastry scraper, lift a square, add filling to center. (Add about 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon filling. If your squares are larger than 1 1/2", add additional filling, but avoid edges for sealing.) Pick up another square, but with your fingers stretch the dough out a bit larger than the bottom half. (You want it to be be large enough to fit over the filling.) Add the top square to the bottom square and pinch all edges tightly closed. With a sharp knife, poke small holes in the top. (This prevents the filling from leaking through the seams.)
- Place each gluten free pizza rolls on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 325°F for 10 minutes.
- Increase temperature to 375° and continue to bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.