This beautiful gluten free pound cake recipe was contributed by Carol Kicinski.
Like the perfect pair of jeans, pound cake is a must have staple. Delicious on its own, it can also be dolled up with berries and cream, topped with ice cream, cut into chunks and dipped into warm dark fudge sauce or toasted for breakfast.
The trick to making perfect gluten free pound cake is to start with a pastry quality gluten-free flour blend that has a high starch content. If you can’t find one then make your own. For this recipe you can substitute the flour in the recipe with ¾ cup superfine white rice flour, ½ cup potato starch (not potato flour), ¼ cup superfine sweet rice flour, ¼ cup tapioca starch and 1 ½ teaspoons of xanthan or guar gum.
A wonderful gluten free pound cake without the grittiness; just full of flavor, like any other pound cake.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups pastry quality gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons [gluten free] baking powder [Featherweight makes one that is corn-free.]
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ cup milk, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9” by 5” loaf pan lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium high speed for 5 minutes until it is very light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well and scraping down the sides after each addition. Add the vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture and milk to the creamed butter starting with half of the flour mixture then the milk then the rest of the flour mixture. Mix until just combined. Remove bowl from mixer and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl well with a large spatula. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Check after 40 minutes and if the top is becoming too brown, place a sheet of foil over to protect it. Let cool in pan for a full 15 minutes then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
The cake will keep wrapped in the fridge for at least 3 days.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
- Like this gluten-free pound cake recipe? Learn about Carol’s other gluten-free recipes through her gluten-free blog at Simply…Gluten-Free.
See Carol’s other recipes:
(Flourless) Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies
Gluten Free Dairy Free Coconut Tarts
Lean Green Pozole
Strawberry Agave Jam
Gluten-free Roasted Shrimp with Wasabi Sauce
Recipe excerpted from “Simply…Gluten Free Desserts” – Copyrighted 2011 – Thomas Dunne Books. All rights reserved. Used with permission.