In Day 19 of the Authors’ Gluten-Free Recipes and KitchenAid Stand Mixer Giveaway Event , I present a gluten free pumpkin bread recipe from gluten free cookbook author, Jules E. Dowler Shepard, from her Jules Gluten Free Thanksgiving eBook 2012. Knowing not all of my readers bake from scratch, I thought many of you may enjoy a recipe using a mix. This pumpkin banana bread may be made in a loaf pan, 5 mini muffin tins; or as muffins. Jules enjoys them best served on Thanksgiving in mini loaf pan size, as quick breads are dense. Serve them as an appetizer before the main meal, or as sweet treat during the meal as replacement for cornbread. Because pumpkin is low in fat, as well as healthy, it is an excellent baking ingredient for this time of year. It’s moist and tasty! Enjoy!
Jules is the author of several gluten free cookbooks; has her own gluten-free flour which contains Expandex, a modified tapioca starch, known to improve the elasticity, leavening and texture of gluten free baked goods; and is the co-founder of 1 in 133, a non-profit organization fighting to ensure that gluten free labeling standards are finalized in the U.S.
You may connect with Jules on her website, Jules Gluten Free, or via Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Banana Bread or Muffins
A delicious gluten free pumpkin banana bread served as a snack, sweet appetizer, or dessert. Great for Thanksgiving or any time of year!
- 2 eggs (OR 2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal steeped in 6 Tablespoons very warm water until viscous)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted shortening (e.g. Earth Balance® Shortening Sticks)
- 2 mashed bananas or 2/3 cup applesauce (natural or no sugar added)
- 1/4 cup granulated cane sugar or unrefined coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or unrefined coconut palm sugar
- 1 1/3 cup pumpkin purée
- Scant 1/2 cup honey or agave nectar
- 2 1/2 cups Jules Gluten Free™ All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup dried or fresh cranberries, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal (optional, but recommended)
- Preheat oven to 350º F (static) or 325º F (convection).
- Combine the eggs, oil, banana, pumpkin, honey and sugars. Mix on medium speed until the granulated sugars are well-blended and the batter turns a lighter color and consistency. Stir in the dry ingredients until well-mixed, then add the cranberries and nuts (if desired).
- Pour into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan, 5 small loaf pans or muffin tins (because this bread is so moist and dense, I prefer it as muffins or small loaves). For Thanksgiving, this recipe is particularly fun to make in mini-muffin pans to set out on the table for munchies before the meal!
- Bake for approximately 55 minutes for the loaf, 40 minutes for the smaller pans, 20–25 minutes for the muffins and 15 minutes or so for the mini-muffins. Insert a cake tester into the center of the bread to determine when done.
- Cool the loaves in the pans for at least 10 minutes before removing from the pans to fully cool.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.