This gluten free muffin recipe is compliments of Robert Rose Inc., publishers of 750 Best Muffin Recipes by Camilla V. Saulsbury. If you wish to make gluten-free and dairy-free muffins, just use dairy-free chocolate chips. There are a couple of brands, at least, on the market now. I cannot get over how they look so much like a real muffin! You know the texture must be awesome! And they are casein-free, corn-free and soy-free!
This incredibly delicious and super-nutritious recipe includes quinoa flakes, a cereal form of quinoa that looks like quick-cooking rolled oats. The flakes retain all of the nutrition of regular quinoa, yet require minimal or no cooking. Look for them in natural foods stores – typically near dry cereal products – or in the health foods section of the supermarket.
This gluten free muffin recipe calls for quinoa flakes which require little to no cooking. The strong flavor of quinoa is hidden well.
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice Flour Blend (375 mL) [see link]
- 1 cup quinoa flakes (250 mL)
- 1 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (6 mL)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (5 mL)
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder (5 mL)
- 1 tsp baking soda (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar (175 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 1/2 cup milk (125 mL)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (75 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (7 mL)
- 2/3 cup gluten-free semisweet chocolate chips, chopped (150 mL)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted (125 mL)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
- 12-cup muffin pan, lined with paper liners
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour blend, quinoa flakes, xanthan gum, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, eggs, milk, oil and vanilla until well blended.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Gently fold in chocolate chips and pecans.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 16 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool.
Excerpted from 750 Best Muffin Recipes by Camilla V. Saulsbury © 2010 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.