This is not only gluten free, but also a vegetarian and vegan red lentil soup recipe. I used to flavor soup with meat, but have found that spices and fresh vegetables can provide just as much flavor when added in just the correct amounts and used to compliment the existing ingredients. I normally would have added chicken, or even bacon, but the addition of smoked paprika made a wonderful substitution! Light, despite the legumes, and very flavorful!
A red lentil soup recipe, naturally gluten free, loaded with carrots, yellow bell pepper, onion, garlic and spices. Perfect for spring!
- 1/2 lb. (1 1/8 cups) red lentils
- 7 cups gluten free low-sodium chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 1 1/8 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 large yellow bell pepper, diced small
- 1 Tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon (or less) freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- Rinse lentils and add them and the chicken broth to a large pot; bring to a boil; and skim off foam.
- Add all the ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Puree in blender in batches, if desired. Serve hot.