Gluten free Spanish rice no tomatoes you ask? With tomato allergies dishes are challenging enough, without even considering the gluten-free diet. So when cooking Mexican food I need to be creative. Most Spanish rice dishes are usually naturally gluten-free, but this gluten-free Spanish rice contains taco seasoning and many commercial ones may contain gluten. If you do not have gluten-free taco mix at hand see the recipe I provide below. Try it and spice up your next rice recipe!
For those of you with tomato allergies or wish a lower-carb Spanish rice, this is perfect, and so easy!
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups filtered water (or for more flavor use gluten free chicken broth - or vegetable broth for vegans.)
- 3 or more Tablespoons gluten-free tomato-free taco seasoning (See ingredients below.)
- 1/2 medium sized yellow onion, chopped finely (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons potato flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (I used evaporated cane sugar)
- Mix all together and store in an air-tight container until ready to use.
- In a medium sized pot add water or broth, rice and seasoning; stir and bring to a boil.
- Once rice comes to boil, cover and lower heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove rice from heat and allow to steam for an additional 20 minutes or until tender.
- In a preheated, pre-oiled frying pan and sauté onion until translucent; set aside.
- Once rice is cooked, toss in sautéed onion with a fork, keep covered until ready to serve.
!Serving Suggestions Serve with some seasoned beef: add some taco seasoning and 1/4 to 1/3 cup water to 1 lb. of browned ground beef and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes. Serve along some gluten-free beans. Serve with a salad.