I have been on a spicy food kick lately. Can’t explain it, but these gluten free french fries hit the spot! I have been really enjoying experimenting. I never thought I would ever eat spicy fries, but I loved these! This gluten free recipe was inspired by a recipe in Food and Wine magazine, and is naturally gluten-free. You can adjust the oil or use an oil of your liking. You can also adjust the heat of the spices. If cooking for children, skip the cumin and peppers. Enjoy!
Soft Indian spiced french fries using turmeric. It's tastes like buttery goodness, but with olive oil instead!
- 2 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into french fries, 1/3" x 1/3" wide
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons extra olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried red peppers
- 1 Tablespoon gluten-free dijon mustard (I use Grey Poupon)
- Once you have your potatoes prepared, preheat a large skillet with oil; add spices and mustard; whisk for about 30 seconds. (I used an electric skillet preheated to 350°.)
- Increase heat to high or 400°. Add in the potatoes; coat with mixture; stir occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Lower heat to low, cover and cook until tender, about 20 - 30 minutes, depending upon size of fries. Stir occasionally.