This gluten free sweet and sour chicken recipe was adapted from a recipe in Food and Wine magazine. The sauce may be made thick or more saucy and the sauce may be pureed, if desired. My version is lower in calorie and fat, as it is skinless. Serve it atop brown or white rice. Either way, this a gourmet treat, like no other gluten free sweet and sour chicken you’ve ever had!
Gluten Free Sweet and Sour Chicken
Take a walk on the gourmet side with this gluten free sweet and sour chicken recipe. Even spice it up, if desired.
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in thirds
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup celery, diced to 1/4"
- 1/4 cup carrots, shredded or smaller than julienne
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, (not packed)
- 2/3 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium gluten free chicken broth (O Organics)
- Preheat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet on medium-high heat; add chicken and brown. Cook about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Add onion, celery and carrots; cook until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally; add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add wine, vinegar and broth; stir; add chicken; cover; and simmer for about 20 minutes. Turn chicken occasionally.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Turn heat to medium-high, and cook until sauce thickens to your desired consistency. Purée in food processor or blender, if desired.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.