These gluten free sweet potato muffins have the weight and texture of a quick bread, such as banana bread, but perhaps a little lighter. They are very moist, and more importantly, packed with nutritious ingredients which I wouldn’t mind giving my grandchildren. And being that I used xylitol instead of sugar, I look forward to using them as a healthy snack for myself more often. These gluten free sweet potato muffins would make an excellent substitution for cornbread this Thanksgiving, as well. And they are a great way to use left over sweet potatoes! That was my reason for creating this recipe. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Muffins
So moist and delicious, and can be made sugar-free! These gluten free muffins are one of my faves when made with xylitol. - Guilt-free!
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sugar (I used xylitol*, making it sugar-free.)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce (or very ripe pear, puréed)
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, baked, peeled and puréed
- 1/4 cup milk (or dairy-free alternative)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Carla's Gluten Free Cake Blend Recipe
- 1/8 cup flax seed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Oil muffin pans or use paper liners.
- Preheat oven to 350F°.
- In the bowl of your mixer cream oil and sugar together.
- Add egg and mix throughly, but do not over beat.
- Add applesauce, sweet potatoes and vanilla; blend well on low speed.
- Add all remaining dry ingredients together in a separate bowl; whisk well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients all at once; blend together on low to medium speed.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tins, 3/4 way up to the top.
- Bake for about 22 minutes and until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack as soon as possible. They will shrink down a bit upon cooling, therefore, the higher the tins are filled the better.
* Most xylitol brands are derived from corn. If you are corn intolerant, there are brands you can find that are derived from birch. See What is Xylitol? A Natural Sugar-Free Sweetener That Tastes Like Sugar
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.