A very versatile gluten free vegetable soup. Add beans of your choosing (kidney, garbanzo, white, navy, etc.) or substitute with diced potatoes. This is your basic vegetable soup recipe. If you wish to make a vegan/vegetarian version use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Just make sure you use a gluten free brand.
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced thinly (large pieces cut in half)
- 1 cup celery, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley (or 2 Tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped finely)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped finely)
- 5 cups gluten free low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (I use chicken - O Organics brand or homemade.)
- 1 large dried bay leaf or 1 small fresh
- 3/4 cup broccoli spears (or 1/2 cup chopped spinach, green beans, etc.)
- 1 - 15.25 oz. can low-sodium red kidney, garbanzo, etc. beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1/8 cup or less of cooked gluten free pasta* per bowl
- Fine sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat a 2 quart pan with oil; add onion, carrots, celery, parsley and basil; stir and saute until onion is tender.
- Add broth and bay leaf; cook on medium heat until vegetables are tender; add beans and heat until warm. Add more tender vegetables such as frozen broccoli the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Add soup to each bowl; add cooked pasta; reheat if necessary; and serve, or create a stunning presentation by serving the entire amount in a porcelain soup tureen..
Suggested gluten free pastas: Brown rice pasta by Trader Joe's, Jovial or Tinkyada