Quite a bit of research went into creating this gluten-free zucchini bread recipe to get this recipe just right. Most gluten free quick bread recipes (breads using leavening agents to enable immediate baking, rather than allowing to rise), allow you to interchange the fruit vegetable or puree you use, except for zucchini bread recipes. Zucchini contains quite a bit of liquid. Therefore, you either need to lessen the other liquids in the recipe or squeeze out much of the liquid in the zucchini. Instead, I began with my banana bread recipe, and opted to add additional flour. This gluten free zucchini bread recipe was made with my own blend of gluten free cake flour. I link to it below. Enjoy!
Gluten-Free Zucchini Bread Recipe
I love to hide veggies in any recipe I possibly can, but this one is a no brainer. Have your cake, and your veggies too!
- 1/2 stick (4 Tablespoons) butter or buttery spread, softened (or 3 Tablespoons: grape seed, olive oil, etc.)
- 1 cup sugar (or evaporated cane juice)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 large (or extra large) egg white, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups zucchini, grated
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk (or dairy-free milk)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups Carla's Self-Rising Gluten-Free Cake Flour Blend
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (or salt)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped (or 1/4 cup poppy seeds) (optional)
- Oil a 9x5" loaf pan.
- Add the flour blend, cinnamon and salt to a separate bowl and whisk together; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, add butter and sugar and using your mixer, mix on medium speed until creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time while mixing on low; milk and apple sauce, and mix again on low; add zucchini and vanilla; mix until well blended.
- Add flour mixture to zucchini mixture and blend on low-medium until well incorporated and then beat on a high for about 15 seconds.
- By hand, or by using the paddle tool or dough hook of your mixer, fold in the walnuts or poppy seeds, if using.
- Pour batter into loaf pan; distribute evenly.
- Place in oven and bake for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Carefully remove from pan and place on a cooling rack, or serve immediately.
- Slice with a serrated knife.
- Store once completely cooled. I successfully left my zucchini bread on the counter, but it was gone in 3 days. I suggest to refrigerate t if you not consumed within 3 days. You may also freeze this bread, in individual slices.
If you are on a nut-free diet, instead of walnuts you may use chocolate chips.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
If you like this gluten free zucchini bread recipe, try my Gluten-Free Banana Bread Recipe.
And if you don’t want to miss a single gluten free recipe or gluten-free giveaway, sign up for my newsletter at the top left column of any of this site’s pages.