This review of Joy Bauer‘s Food Cures is long overdue! Joy is the nutritionist on NBC’s The Today Show, and has been a contributor to my blog since last summer. And we are all grateful for her healthy gluten free recipes! Last year I was reading a copy of Woman’s Day, and thought, “Why haven’t I reviewed her book yet? Her advise is so spot-on! I didn’t realize that her book had a section on celiac disease. The article in the magazine went on and on about what spices and foods benefit specific conditions. Read on to find out just a small portion how Joy Bauer’s Food Cures may help you and enter the giveaway for a chance to win your own copy of Joy’s book!
So, I had a copy of Joy’s book sent to me and unfortunately due my father’s illness it just sat there. Well, Dad’s feeling better for now and I finally had some time to go through the 516 pages of wonderful information.
Joy Bauer’s Food Cures Review
As my regular readers already are aware, I do not use some of the ingredients that Joy suggests, such as some of the sweeteners, oils, etc. However, those are easy fixes, as you may have noticed when I make her gluten free recipes.
She has the low-fat, low-calorie thing down cold. I can recall on one of her segments on NBC’s The Today Show, she suggested using more vinegar in a homemade salad dressing recipe. Some her ideas are so simple, yet so tasty!
If you have celiac disease or a gluten intolerance you will find an entire section just on this subject alone. It would make wonderful reading for the newly diagnosed. However, for the not so-newly diagnosed, you may be experiencing other ailments in which you can apply her advise. Celiac disease puts such a hard strain on the body that you may have developed other autoimmune diseases, or perhaps you could apply some of her IBS suggestions and tips to your gastrointestinal issues.
Maybe you’ve been consuming a lot of high carbed gluten-free starches and have gained weight. Though I know some of you are still struggling with trying to put weight back on. I loved the recipe under weight loss called Skinny Sheppard’s Pie! How can Sheppard’s Pie ever be considered skinny? Well, Joy has done it! She cuts back on so many of the ingredients by using substitute ingredients or low-calorie/fat ingredients that it really is lower in calories, fat and carbs, yet still has plenty of flavor!
In the Celiac Disease chapter of Food Cures, Joy provides a 4-step program which includes among other steps, The Ultimate Grocery List, Meal Plans. as well as 3 tasty and healthy gluten-free recipes. However, most of the recipes in her book can easily be considered gluten free just by using gluten free ingredients such as gluten free Worcestershire sauce, gluten free oats, etc.
Perhaps you are one of the unlucky ones and not only have celiac disease or gluten intolerance, but Diabetes, as well. Or perhaps it’s arthritis. Other ailments and medical conditions she addresses are cardiovascular (heart health, such as high cholesterol and more), osteoporosis, vision, memory, migraine headaches, PMS, insomnia, and cancer prevention. In addition to the physical aspects of how diet may effect us, she addresses mood as well.
And it doesn’t stop there! She gives tips on how to improve your skin and hair, as well. And did I mention your beautiful smile? She gives tips on how food and teeth health go hand-in-hand. She even has tips on keeping your teeth white!
THE GLUTEN-FREE GIVEAWAY
One lucky winner will receive the following:
- 1 Copy of Joy Bauer’s Food Cures - Retail Value $21.99.
How to Enter and Ways of Entering Additional Times
One entry per comment.
- Comment on this post requesting to be entered in the giveaway and tell us why you wish to enter. (mandatory)
- Like “Gluten Free Carla” on Facebook Page and tell me you did so by stating so and leave your FB name in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Share this page on Facebook either by using the link above or by clicking “share” on Facebook below; and leave a separate comment below stating what you did. (1 extra entry)
- Follow me on Twitter “GFrecipebox” and leave me your Twitter name in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Retweet about this giveaway, using “@GFrecipebox“, in your tweet and leave a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Leave a comment on any other post on this site, limit two, and state what you did below, in a separate comment. Other giveaways do not count. (1 extra entry for each comment)
- Share this on any of the over 400 social net works by clicking the share button below and leave a separate comment below for each share you did. (1 extra entry for each share).
- Sign up for my newsletter at the top left of most pages, and leave a separate comment below stating you did so. If you are already a subscriber just leave a comment stating so. (1 extra entry)
- “Like” Joy Bauer on Facebook and leave a separate comment below with your Facebook user name. (1 extra entry)
- Follow Joy Bauer on Twitter (@joybauer) and leave a separate comment below with your Twitter user name. (1 extra entry)
- Sign up for any of Joy Bauer’s Newsletters on the right side of her home page and enter a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
What you should know
- Giveaway ends at 11:59 pm PST on February 22, 2012.
- The winner will be announce on this page on February 23, 2012.
- The winner will have until 11:59pm PST on February 25, 2012 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply us with their U.S. shipping address and phone number. If they do not respond within that period of time, a new winner will be chosen. Therefore, use an email address you check often or check back to this site on February 23, 2012 to view the winner announcement. The winner’s shipping address, phone number and email address will be kept confidential.
- The winner is chosen at random using random.org.
- The winner will be announced at the bottom of this page.
Disclaimer: Joybauers.com provided me with a free book to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a giveaway in return for the free book.
And the winner is…
Congratulations Kera! Please reply to the winner’s notification email by the end of the day on February 25, 2012.