Last weekend a premiere review copy arrived of Simply Gluten Free Magazine, the newest of gluten free magazines! I was anticipating its arrival, as I only subscribe to one other gluten free magazine, and it really hasn’t been meeting my needs lately. I mainly subscribe for the recipes, and everything else is just a bonus. Since the editor of Simply Gluten Free, Carol Kicinski, had announced that it she was going to publish a gluten free magazine that she would want to read, I knew it was going to be great! She is very artistic, a photographer, a professional recipe developer, TV show host, author, has such great taste, and is fun. If anyone could publish a successful, upper-end gluten free magazine, it was going to be Carol!
The day my review copy arrived I only had time to look at the cover, as I was preparing my house for an overnight guest. I was already impressed just by the weight of the cover paper, and how attractive it was.
The following day, while I was busy in the kitchen I gave my friend the Simply Gluten Free magazine to keep her busy, as she is allergic to unsprouted wheat. I still hadn’t gotten around to opening it up yet. She was so excited! I heard her say,
“Wow! They have a section on how to make a Thanksgiving dinner, and they include a checklist on when to do everything, and provide you with a shopping list for the menu plan you choose! I like to be organized. The only thing that I can perceive as a problem would be me being impatient on not being able to do something until a certain day. I’d be so excited!”
Her enthusiasm made me even more eager to open it up myself, after she departed. When I did, I was also impressed. Not only was a Thanksgiving menu provided, but there were several choices: 3 main traditional entrees, several sides, desserts, a crock pot/slow cooker entree recipe, and more. The recipes were so good, I could easily use them this year, if I were cooking, saving a lot of time and headaches. The only thing that was not included was a recipe for rolls (that was the only thing I felt the entire magazine was missing, which says a lot.) However, soon you will be able to obtain additional gluten free recipes, as well as many other goodies, on their site Simply Gluten Free Magazine.
It didn’t end with Thanksgiving recipes! They included everyday recipes, as well. I really appreciated the recipes for Thanksgiving left overs. How many times can you eat the same meal?
The wonderful thing about the recipes was that below the title they were labeled whether they were Gluten-free, Grain-free, Dairy-free, Nut-free, Soy-free, Egg-free, Vegetarian, or Vegan, and whether they included options such as Dairy-free, Vegan, etc. They really did everything right!
This issue was politically correct in not addressing “Christmas”, but covered the Jewish community by not only providing a latke recipe, a Jewish potato dish, but an entire latke party plan. I love latkes! Carol definitely covered it all for the holiday season, as well as keeping my interest all the way through.
While I learned a lot about Carol in her articles (it was a great introduction to her and her mindset), she has many additional writers which include doctors, authors, top gluten free bloggers, and more. This provides for a variety of pallets, in both recipes and interests. One of my favorite doctors will be writing for Simply Gluten Free, Dr. Vikki Petersen. I’m anticipating her articles in future issues. Many of you are familiar with Dr. Petersen, as she contributes monthly articles to this blog. Those articles alone are worth the price of the magazine, to me! Dr. Petersen is always on the cutting edge of gluten free!
For a snippet of its contents, without giving it all away, check out the sections the magazine includes below:
News: Editor’s notes
Learn: All about the gluten-free diet, cooking, etc., some related to the season.
Explore: International article and gluten free tips for traveling abroad.
Cook: Articles and recipes.
Give: Gift giving.
Read: Suggested reading (books).
Beauty: A featured gluten free makeup brand and tips (in this issue, for the holidays).
Create: In this issue, it address DIY gift wrapping.
Profile: Gluten free featured brand article.
Favs: All things, not necessarily gluten free.
Inspire: Gluten free public figure in the spotlight.
This issue was 80 wonderful pages of gluten free! I’m in!
UPDATE Nov. 19, 2012: You may now view the premiere issue of this magazine at Simply Gluten Free Magazine.For Windows users, if you have trouble with the zoom feature see the following instructions per browser: For Safari and Chrome to zoom in on any page online, click “Ctrl” and “+” as many times as desired. To zoom back out, click “Ctrl” and “-” as many times as desired. For Opera: Number Lock and + or -.
To subscribe to this magazine visit Simply Gluten Free Magazine. The pre-release prices are incredibly low! One-year subscriptions are only $14.99, saving 64% off the cover price. Two-year subscriptions are only $24.99, saving 70% off the cover price.
THE GLUTEN FREE GIVEAWAY
This giveaway is open to U.S. and Canadian shipping addresses only.
Two (2) winners will each receive:
A 1-Year Subscription to Gluten Free Magazine (6 issues).
Valued at $14.99 each.
How to Enter
Do step No. 1 below (mandatory), and then do additional steps for additional entries. Each comment counts as an entry.
- Comment on this post below, requesting to be entered in the giveaway and explain why you wish to enter. (mandatory).
- Like “Gluten Free Carla” on Facebook Page and tell me you did so below in a separate comment. If you’ve “liked” her previously, state so in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- After liking my Facebook page, share this on Facebook, “Enter to win Simply Gluten Free Magazine @Gluten Free Carla ‘s Gluten Free Giveaway at http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/simply-gluten-free-magaazine-review-giveaway – 2 winners!” - and leave a separate comment below stating you did so. (1 extra entry)
- Follow me on Twitter “GFrecipebox” and leave me your Twitter name in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Tweet about this giveaway by copying and pasting: “Enter to #win @SimplyGFMag #glutenfree #giveaway hosted by @GFrecipebox at http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/simply-gluten-free-magaazine-review-giveaway – 10 winners!” – and leave a separate comment below stating you did so. (1 extra entry)
- Follow Carla on Pinterest and state so in a separate comment below. If you’re already following, state so in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Leave a comment on any other recipe or article on this site, limit two, and state what you did below, in separate comments. Comments on other giveaways do not count. (1 extra entry for each comment)
- Share this giveaway on any of the over 400 social networks by clicking the share button below and leave a separate comment below for each share you did. (1 extra entry for each share).
- Sign up for my newsletter at the top left of most pages, and leave a separate comment below stating you did so. If you are already a subscriber just leave a comment stating so. (1 extra entry)
- “Like” Simply Gluten Free Magazine on Facebook and leave a separate comment below with your Facebook user name. (1 extra entry)
- Follow @SimplyGFMag
on Twitter and leave a separate comment below with your Facebook user name. (1 extra entry)
- Follow Carol Kicinski on Pinterest and leave a separate comment below with your Facebook user name. (1 extra entry)
What you should know
- This giveaway ends at 11:59 pm PST on November 29, 2012.
- The winner will be announced at the bottom of this page on November 30, 2012.
- The winner will have until 11:59 pm PST on December 2, 2012 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply their U.S. shipping address and phone number. If they do not respond within that period of time, a new winner will be chosen. Therefore, use an email address you check often or check back to this page on November 30, 2012 to view the winner announcement. All shipping addresses, phone numbers and email addresses are kept confidential.
- The winner is chosen at random using a contest software application.
Disclaimer: Simply Gluten Free provided me with a free sample of their products to try, and I was under no obligation to review them, if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a giveaway in return for the free products.
See all current Gluten Free Giveaways.
And the winners are:
Susan H. and Debbie E.!
Congratulations to you both!
You have until December 2, 2012 at 11:59pm to reply to th winners’ notification email to supply your U.S. or Canadian shipping address. If you do not reply within that time period a new winner will be chosen.
Enjoy your new gluten free magazine!