Not only learn how to cook spaghetti squash (aka vegetable spaghetti), but also how to easily cut it in half. You don’t need to buy any fancy spiral machine to substitute spaghetti squash for pasta. It’s naturally gluten free and easily shreds with a fork. Mix in your favorite sauce or top with butter or margarine. Then season as desired.
It has a slight crunch to the noodles, but with your favorite sauce, it’s totally worth using this healthier choice. It is zero points for Weight Watch dieters. Spaghetti squash allows you additional calories and points for rich sauces like alfredo without counting points or high carbs for pasta.
You’ll find this large, yellow squash from fall through spring due to it’s long storage capabilities. However, it is harvested in the fall.
This recipe is also available to non-members.
Spaghetti Squash Recipe (Healthy Gluten Free Pasta Substitute)
Roasted spaghetti squash is a healthier alternative to gluten free pasta and lends a sweetness to otherwise traditional pasta dishes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Microwave each spaghetti squash for 6 minutes or until you can easily slice it in half using a long, sharp knife, turning over once midway through.
- Once you can comfortably handle the squash, use a potholder or thick towel to hold them, slice them in half lengthwise. Transfer the pieces to a baking sheet, open side up. Bake for 50 minutes or until you can easily pierce the squash with a knife.
- Set the halves aside to cool long enough to handle. (You can use this time to prepare or warm your favorite sauce. There's really no need to serve a vegetable as squash is a vegetable and full of fiber.)
- Using a tablespoon, scrape out the seeds and top pulp. Don't scrap too much squash out, though. Once you start seeing strings, that's the spaghetti squash. Don't through them out. Using a fork, scrape out spaghetti squash into a large bowl.
- Serve with your favorite gluten free sauce and, if desired, meat.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.