On the 4th of July I had a sweet tooth. Actually, I have had a sweet tooth all week, but not for dessert. I went to the grocery store, hungry, the other day and ended up with a cart full of naturally gluten-free foods, such as gluten-free cocktail onions and raspberry balsamic vinegar. Obviously, not just sweet foods, but tangy, as well. Must be something going on with my diet. Hmmm. Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy this recipe strawberry spinach salad, as well as the dressing. We did!
A wonderful spinach salad with the sweetness of strawberries and honey in a sweet tart dressing.
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- 1 small basket of fresh strawberries, stemmed and sliced and then sliced in halves
- 8 scallions (greens and whites only), thinly sliced (or defrosted frozen)
- Walnuts, caramelized or not (optional) See recipe at Candied Walnuts
- 8 large strawberries, sliced
- 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Reserve a small amount of the ingredients above to add on top the salad after slicing for garnishing. (not pictured above)
- Add all ingredients to a large salad bowl, add some of the dressing below, to taste, and toss. Use vinaigrette dressings sparingly, as they go a long way. If you decide to place a bottle of dressing on the table for all to use, warn them to use it sparingly. Balsamic is very strong.
- Garnish with reserved ingredients.
- To make the dressing, whisk all ingredients together until mixed. If you desire to use a food processor you will end up with a creamier dressing (as pictured above), though not clear.