The other day I was watching the Paula Deen show and she made water melon coolers. I happened to have had a huge watermelon that I had planned on using when I had company, but didn’t. Making a watermelon smoothie was a perfect way to consume the watermelon fast and watermelon is a great diuretic. I am allergic to citrus so I skipped the lemon juice, but wish I could have used it. But even without the lemon juice, these are great! And if you choose to add Greek yogurt, it will assist those with candida, though they should avoiding sugary drink. Paula used watermelon, lemon juice and a big scoop of lemon sorbet. Lemon juice is also a great diuretic. I don’t recall her portion sizes on ingredients, but you can’t go wrong with this smoothie recipe, as it is very forgiving. I used Greek yogurt and pineapple juice, but you can use just about anything creamy with any juice you wish. Suggestions for creaminess are: vanilla ice cream, flavored yogurt, whipping cream, etc. All you need is a blender. Enjoy this refreshing watermelon smoothie! You can even make popsicles or other gluten free beverages and cocktails!
There's nothing like watermelon on hot day, but creating this refreshing watermelon smoothie tops it off just right! Great for water retention!
- 4 cups watermelon, chopped and seeded
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or heavy whipping cream (to make it dairy free substitute with a banana)
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice or less, depending upon thickness you desire (you can also substitute other juices or just ice)
- Place everything in a blender and run until all is smooth and creamy.
- Pour into tall glass.
- Cut a wedge of melon in a triangular shape and slit half way up; and place on side of glass. (I had forgotten and cubed the entire watermelon, but what I wanted to do is to cut a triangle of watermelon and leave the top rind on.)
Enjoy and stay cool this summer!
See more Gluten Free Beverages and Cocktails.