This is such an easy and fast gluten free dessert to make! Frost bottom edges with sweetened whipped cream, white frosting, or cream cheese frosting (all recipes below). You can also use canned whipped cream. If desired, add blue food coloring to frosting for decorative stars or leave white. I like to use natural food coloring made by Select Tea. It’s gluten-free and vegan. I left mine white. Adding a single blueberry on top and/or one in the middle of each decoration at the bottom brings color to this dessert. If you’d like, you can frost the entire top of the star and add multiple blueberries and/or other red berries, and skip the decorative frosting, or do both. This recipe can be made low-carb using sugar substitutes. This definitely makes a great 4th of July desserts, and definitely a conversation piece! Happy 4th of July to everyone in the U.S.!
A fun watermelon dessert for the summer, Memorial Day or 4th of July!
For the Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (usually contains corn - Last I checked, Trader Joe's sells one that is tapioca starch based.)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (preferably clear)
For the Light Gluten-Free White Frosting (Double recipe if needed)
- 1 cup powdered sugar or powdered evaporated cane juice
- 2 Tablespoons butter, close to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla or white pure powdered vanilla (regular vanilla darkens the frosting color)
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 Tablespoon coconut milk (or the milk of your choosing)
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- Substitute shortening for cream cheese in the ingredients for Light Frosting above.
- Make one of the frosting recipes or use whipped cream recipes; add to a piping bag or a ziplog bag with a tiny (you can always cut off more later, if needed) bit off one corner cut off and then in the middle of the corner cut it about 1/8" down the middle and on the sides, creating a cross; fill bag with frosting or whipped cream; and refrigerate until needed.
- Remove rind from watermelon, slice about 1/2" to 1" thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut star shapes out of the watermelon.
- Place watermelon on a plate and decorate with frosting or whipped cream.
For the Sweetened Whipped Cream
- Add all ingredients to a chilled bowl.
- Using your mixer, whip until firm peaks form.
- Refrigerate until needed.
For the Frosting
- Place all ingredients in a mixer and beat on high speed of your electric mixer for 5 - 10 minutes.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.