Wholesome Chow makes all natural “gluten-free and vegan” and “vegan” baking mixes, which they wish to share with all of you. Wholesome Chow reports that they test each and every manufacture run for gluten cross-contamination using the ELISA GF testing kits and receive a “Negative” test result every time. The following Wholesome Chow review is contributed by Dr. Danielle West, ND. Enjoy and good luck if you enter the giveaway!
It’s time for some Wholesome Chow for a change
The fun in the kitchen never stops when baking gluten-free cakes, cookies and cupcakes… and with Wholesome Chow’s vegan GF cake and pancake/all-purpose baking mixes you’re only limited by your imagination. And, as most of you know, my baking imagination yields all sorts of fun results.
I first prepared the chocolate lavender cake mix. I had a special homecoming dinner for my husband planned and I thought those would be the perfect surprise. So, off I went baking before the summer heat hit. Made them in special cupcake cups and decorated them just so – and he absolutely loved the subtle lavender in the chocolate! This mix is the perfect festive exotic item for that special occasion.
I next used their regular cake mix and made fruit/nut cupcakes (adding diced dried cranberries, chopped pecans and chocolate chips) that, after enjoying them hot and fresh from the oven, I chose to leave unfrosted and enjoy more as a lighter muffin. I am a cookie and cake batter taster, too. When I tasted the batter for this cake mix before putting the utensils I used into the sink, I thought, “hmmmm, kinda’ bland, but we’ll see.” Glad I held my judgment, for these were absolutely wonderful and made my second cup of decaf in the morning quite enjoyable to say the least!
Next came the vanilla cake mix. I decided to make a bundt cake with it – layering chocolate/pecan streusel mix when pouring the cake batter into the pan. Having a great deal of extra streusel mix, I added that to half of the vanilla cake batter and did a marble bundt streusel cake! Love the flexibility of this mix. What is especially nice about all the cake mixes is their ease to make – just add oil and non-dairy milk (to stay casein free, or add regular milk if you prefer) and in the case of the vanilla cake, a bit of apple cider vinegar for use as an activator to lighten the texture. It was still a bit heavy and dense, but none the less tasty. This is the type of cake, that if I were to use again, perhaps for a baby shower or wedding, I might mix with lemon curd and lemon zest and then use a scant of lemon frosting drizzle on. Again, the ideas are limited only by your imagination.
Last came the pancake/all-purpose baking mix challenge. The mix came along with recipe ideas which included a chocolate chip recipe. When reviewing products that come with recipes, I like to try at least one. So once again, the chocoholic and cookie monster in me screamed for an adapted chocolate chocolate chip pecan cookie. These cookies provided the perfect addition to my afternoon cup of coffee. Although the dough was more crumbly like a shortbread dough, when compressed it made nice little cookie rounds, but do crumble a bit when done. Oh well, as they say, that’s the way the cookie crumbles… but I do like the fact the mix is as versatile as it is.
For those with other food allergies, their products are also egg, casein and nut free. However, it is important to note that Wholesome Chow also produces vegan cake mixes which are not gluten-free.
THE GLUTEN-FREE GIVEAWAY
Open to all U.S. shipping addresses.
One lucky winner each will receive the following:
- 2 Packages Gluten Free Baking & Pancake Mix
- 2 Packages Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix
- 2 Packages Gluten Free Vanilla Cake Mix
- 2 Packages Gluten Free Chocolate Lavender Cake Mix
Total Suggested Retail Value – $37 + free shipping.
How to Enter and Ways of Entering Additional Times
- Comment on this post requesting to be entered in the giveaway and tell us why you wish to enter. (mandatory)
- Like “Gluten Free Carla” on Facebook Page and tell me you did so by stating so and leave your FB name in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Share this page on Facebook either by using the link above or by clicking “share” on Facebook below; and leave a separate comment below stating what you did. (1 extra entry)
- Follow me on Twitter “GFrecipebox” and leave me your Twitter name in a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Retweet this post dated August 25, 2011 from “GFrecipebox“, by using “RT @GFrecipebox” in your tweet and leave me a separate comment below. (1 extra entry)
- Leave a comment on any other post on this site, limit two, and state what you did below, in a separate comment. Other giveaways do not count. (1 extra entry for each comment)
- Share this on any of the over 400 social net works by clicking the share button below and leave a separate comment below for each share you did. (1 extra entry for each share).
- “Like” Wholesome Chow on Facebook and leave a separate comment below with your Facebook user name. (1 extra entry)
- Follow Wholesome Chow on Twitter (@wholesomechow) and leave a separate comment below with your Twitter user name. (1 extra entry)
- Sign up for Wholesome Chow’s Newsletter.
What you should know
- Giveaway ends at 11:59 pm PST on September 8, 2011.
- The winner will have until 11:59pm PST on September 10, 2011 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply us with their U.S. shipping address and phone number. If they do not respond within that period of time, a new winner will be chosen. Therefore, use an email address you check often or check back to this site on September 9, 2011 to view the winner announcement. The winner’s shipping address, phone number and email address will be kept confidential between us and Tropical Traditions.
- The name of the winner will be announced on this page, right below this line, on September 9, 2011.
Disclaimer: Wholesome Chow provided us with free samples of their products to review, and we were under no obligation to review them if we so chose. Nor were we under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free products.
If you liked this Wholesome Chow review, please visit Wholesome Chow’s website to learn where their products may be purchased and their allergen information. And while you’re there, check out their gluten-free recipes.
And the winner is…
Heather has until 11:59pm PST on September 19, 2011 to reply to the winner’s notification email to supply us with her U.S. shipping address and phone number. If she does not respond within that time period, a new winner will be chosen.
The winner was chosen at random using random.org: